VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I reside in India. I use DTH service TATASKY to watch TV channels. The DTH decoder box is connected with the TV through the AV cables( video+ 2 audio)and I change the channels using the Decoder Remote. I am interest to purchase the above mentioned DVD-HDD recorder available in www.philips.co.in. My prime objective is to program my recorder to record TV programs in my absence. I would like to also write the recorded video onto the DVD media when required. Can this product fulfil all this ?
    Please advise me. I am new to DVD HDD recorders.
    vsenapati
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It should work fine. You will just feed the audio/video from the decoder box into the recorder and then from the recorder to the TV. The only problem will be that the recorder won't be able to change the channels. You will need to set the recorder on timer record so that it turns on/off at the appropriate time AND you will need to ensure the decoder is set to the correct channel. This will present problems if you want/need to record from multiple channels.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I disagree. I am myself a user of TataSky’s Direct to Home service and have connected my Video Cassette Recorder to the Tata-Sky’s Thomson-make set-top box by an RF connector . But the desk-top disables the tuner of the VCR and makes it into its slave. So the VCR has capability to tune to only one channel and that too, selected on the set-top box. If one wants to record more than one program at night, one has to get up in the middle of the night before each program and set the next program channel on the set-top box, set the VCR recorder and then go back to sleep.

The set-top is also being used by Tata-Sky to alert customers to pay their dues in advance for the next month, quarter or year and for flashing for 10 to 15 seconds, a Code No of the user in a patch at random locations on his screen every few minutes, disfiguring the lips, eyes or other features of beautiful screen images. Teletext messages are broadcast asking any cable customers who might see the scrolling message to report the Code Number to Tata-Sky’s telephone number in order to catch the user facilitating the signal piracy by a Cable Operator. Requests to put the frequently flashed ID numbers in the four corners or along the edge of the screen are rudely dismissed as impracticable. This is a blatantly user-unfriendly imposition to serve the purpose of Tata-Sky.

I have asked Tata Sky if they would let users like me interested in scheduling recording of multiple programs from different channels, a Cassette or DVD recorder with the set-top box built into it. But the only answer I get is that such set-top boxes are not available.

P. Jayant
    Quote Quote