VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I burned a DVD today and I can’t play it with my DVD player. When I play the DVD on my DVD player it says “This type of disc cannot be played. Insert a different disc”. I burned the movie on Sony DVD+RW (120min/40 GB) disc. My DVD player is Panasonic Double Feature (Model No. PV-D4743-K). What seems to be the problem and what should I do? I tried DVD-R instead of DVD-RW but i still have the problem.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you finalize the disc? If not, it won't play in the DVD Player
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1
    Did you finalize the disc? If not, it won't play in the DVD Player
    how do i do that?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i searched a lot of websites but i can't find out how to finalize a dvd..does anyone have a link?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The machine came with a book. Read it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The machine came with a book. Read it.
    i read it...but right now i'm looking for a guide that will teach me how to finalize a dvd
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Someone Please Help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to the guides here on Videohelp for this type of player, it's a real picky one, and may not play your DVD+RW discs..

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=3039&Search=Search&#comments

To Finalize the disc... Thats the final part to creating your DVD on disc..With my Panasonic DMR-E80H I burn the Movie onto a DVD-R.. Then I have to go into Disc Settings, choose the Disc vs the Panny's HDD, and click a Button which says "FINALIZE"..Takes about a minute, then viola, I got my DVD and it'll play on anything else I got..If you burn the movie via a Set top machine, it has to be finalized or it won't play.....The machine you made the Disc on should explain this in it's manual..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you burn the disc on a PC or a standalone recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have an old Panasonic RV-31 and it has been replaced with a Phillips DVD 622/37 ($40 at Best Buy). I have not had these kins of problems since. My guess is that you are having what I call failure mode #2.

I found that some of my DVD+RW disks would no longer play in the RV-31 after I used them 10 or 20 times. The solution was to do a full erase instead of a quick erase before recording my content. Now they play every time.

Failure mode #1 was that if you turn the unit on by pressing the Open button instead of using the power switch the unit would not load DVD+R disks.

Failure mode #3 (the reason I gave up on the damn thing) was that it would only load 1 in 4 DVD+R 8x disks (even though I recorded at 2.4x).

If this is a new player, your problem could also be that the data you put on the disk is no good. Did you author the disk correctly so that you have a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directory with an VTS_01_0.IFO file and VTS_01_1.VOB in the VIDEO_TS directory? You can use ifoedit or some of the other free DVD players for your computer to see if your computer can play the data that you put on the disk.

Did you mention if your computer can play the DVD after you recorded it? If your computer can not play it you have a slim chance that a set-top box can play it so you most likely screwed up the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by capvid0429
    Did you burn the disc on a PC or a standalone recorder?
    pc (nero)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trossin
    I have an old Panasonic RV-31 and it has been replaced with a Phillips DVD 622/37 ($40 at Best Buy). I have not had these kins of problems since. My guess is that you are having what I call failure mode #2.

I found that some of my DVD+RW disks would no longer play in the RV-31 after I used them 10 or 20 times. The solution was to do a full erase instead of a quick erase before recording my content. Now they play every time.

Failure mode #1 was that if you turn the unit on by pressing the Open button instead of using the power switch the unit would not load DVD+R disks.

Failure mode #3 (the reason I gave up on the damn thing) was that it would only load 1 in 4 DVD+R 8x disks (even though I recorded at 2.4x).

If this is a new player, your problem could also be that the data you put on the disk is no good. Did you author the disk correctly so that you have a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directory with an VTS_01_0.IFO file and VTS_01_1.VOB in the VIDEO_TS directory? You can use ifoedit or some of the other free DVD players for your computer to see if your computer can play the data that you put on the disk.

Did you mention if your computer can play the DVD after you recorded it? If your computer can not play it you have a slim chance that a set-top box can play it so you most likely screwed up the disk.
    i can watch the dvd on my computer but there is no sound.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i guess i have to buy a new dvd player
    Quote Quote