VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Are 3D BR disks ripped like a regular BR disk? Can 3D BR disks be played on a normal BR player?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "Yes" to the first question, "No" to the second. You also need a 3D HDTV with the correct glasses for the TV brand in addition to a 3D BD player to play a 3D BD disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps my second question was asked incorrectly. Can you play a 3D on a standard BR player and get normal 2D playback on a 2D HDTV?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    Perhaps my second question was asked incorrectly. Can you play a 3D on a standard BR player and get normal 2D playback on a 2D HDTV?
    No.

Lest you keep finding variations on your question, you CANNOT play 3D BD on a standard BD player - end of story.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Jman98, that is partiallywrong. While it possible to create a non-backward-compatible 3DBD, the vast majority of currently existing H'wood releases are 2d-compatible. And when they are, and are shown either with a 2d BDplayer or to 2D TV, what you get is NEARLY the same as a regular 2d feature. I say nearly, because the 3d may be encoded for dynamic/floating stereo windows, and doing so will look on 2d as if there were extra, sometimes moving, pillarboxing.

Also, in answer to the OP's 1st question, ripping disc to disc or disc to iso is the same, but disc to files/folders won't give you the same size efficiency, and ripping+converting (to another 3d format) is another matter altogether, with more complications, and less choice of apps.

Scott

(edited to minimize my bold mistake)
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 7th Oct 2012 at 00:28.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So you can play a 3D Bluray on a non 3D bluray player ?
    It just won't be in 3D, obviously.....

I was wondering before because I saw a 3D bluray for cheap but I did not get it because it only stated that it was 3D, and I was not sure if it would play correctly on my non 3D player & tv.

I guess I am going to have to test it out one of these days if I see the same Bluray locally again....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All I can say is that the ONLY 3D BD movies I have are by Disney. They were all bought as part of a package that gave me the 3D movie along with BluRay and DVD disc. None of the 3D discs will play on my BD player and they all have a message like "Must have 3D BluRay player to see this disc". if that is not typical then so be it, but those are the only discs I have to test and they sure as hell don't work on normal BD players.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know why, and I may also be wrong, but I got that feeling from what I read which is why I did not buy the Bluray I saw that stated it was only 3D, it did not say it had both 3D & standard (2D) versions in the package or on the disc.

But if I see it again I will probably pick it up.
    For a few bucks it will at least give me something to mess with and test out as far as ripping & converting goes if it does not play in 2D on my standard Bluray players.

What is cool though, I saw an article the other day about some new big screen LED's, like 84" (?) and some that will display 3D and you do not need 3D glasses to watch in 3D!!!

But they were like $10,000.00 and up!!!!
    Not so cool!!!

But like everything, eventually they will come down as new and better "holodeck's" are made.....
    LOL!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @jman98, I apologize!
    I did some testing of my disc library as well as tallied some listings on the web, and it looks like the percentage now is more like 40% 2d-compatible and 60% 2d-incompatible! (Moreso for Disney titles)
    However, all should know that under the hood, they really ALL OUGHT to be 2d-compatible, it's just that the distributor has decided to "lock-out" 2d on those 60% (for many mainly marketing reasons). It is just like a Dvd UOP. Which also should mean that if the disc got decrypted+ripped, the ripper software might also remove that lock.

In order to partly make it up to you, I revised my emphasis in the previous post. Also, if you ever visit my neck of the woods, I'll buy you a beer...

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 7th Oct 2012 at 00:31.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    LOL! It's all good, Scott. Don't worry about it. I was not offended at all by your previous post.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yeah, the Disney ones are locked out. I have a few that aren't, e.g. Imax Space Station.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote