VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Windows 7 is out, have you upgraded?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I'm running windows 7 on one of my computers since a few weeks. Very stable and fast so far.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I wiped my Vista Ultimate SP2 (64-bit) system over 2 months ago and did a clean Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) RTM install. I have zero regrets with moving to Windows 7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.

Was running 64bit demo, now running Ultimate 64bit.

Very smooth.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, no reason.
    Windows Vista on a pair of systems, XP on all the others.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not yet.

I need another option - Using vista because it works - not because its crap.

I have vista on my dual core amd 2.7ghz pc and xp on my older single core 2.66ghz emachine that is still kicking - in fact I'm typing on it right now and its got to be 5 years old or more. THough it has had transplants
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been messing with win 7 for since Feb 2009 ... currently on this PC Im typing on ... it is a dual boot ... WINXP and WIN 7.

PC in bedroom is different story ... XP MCE2005 and Vista Ultimate x64 and if I boot to the drive that I send my recorded videos too ... it will boot to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 ... its the Media Center on Vista x64 SP2 that works very good and the Media Center on WIN 7 x64 Ultimate is also very good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't upgraded yet, although I do have an Vista Home Premium with an upgrade coupon. If possible, I'll wait at least a few months to see if any serious problems are discovered before installing it on my new computer.

I still have an old Dell as well that I use once in a while, built at the end of 2001, running windows XP. It can't be upgraded enough to run either Vista or Windows 7 competantly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. happy Vista owner here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've partitioned with dual boot XP and Win7 in mind. Currently two machines are running Vista and two the Win7 RC. I have the Win7 Home Premium 3x Family pack on order. I may keep one Vista Ultimate for connection to business servers, but will probably upgrade that to Win7 Pro later.

I've also got a Win7 Home Premium Upgrade for my Vista laptop.

Also there is the HP MediaSmart Server running Windows Home Server. I learned yesterday that a Power Pack 3 upgrade will be available in November to handle Win 7 specific issues.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. yep 7 is faster than xppro & vista
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Happy with Vista x64. Will probably get Win7 when I build my next machine.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Yep, I'm running windows 7 on one of my computers since a few weeks. Very stable and fast so far.
    Compare to what?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just got my W7 disc, but waiting delivery of a 150GB Raptor for the boot drive. My SSD will be retired to a scratch drive.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use OSX 99%+ pf the time. I did put Windows 7 on an old Acer laptop I have and, surprise!, it runs fairly well. The real test will be when I download all of the "free apps" that Microsoft saw fit to exclude from the distribution (whatever M$ calls their iApps) and we'll see if W7 is more than just a means to run Office 2007.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I voted No, Windows XP is still the best. for the moment.

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    nope, not yet.. still on WIN98 (internet) and XP Home (video workstation)

I saw it running on an pre-built e-machine at bestbuy I had my eye on a couple of week ago. My first impression was, I *really* like it, (like you said, it was fast) and it was on sale for $299, or $350 (the 350 was faster) but I ran out of time, sale ended. I must admit, it does look good (stable, that is) and obviously a quick kill of prev os, Vista.

I am considering it (in a new fully built system rather than build myself this time) if price is right and if they can image it to a backup disc so I can pop it in every day--If I go this route, this could push me to consider upgrading to a faster than 56k modem, and it could be my new internet pc. After nearly 17 years on dialup I think I could use an upgrade, I suppose At least I'm finally considering it cause we our having our lines rewired with improved phonelines for fios i guess. I wonder what they'll be [s:beeac1e5d4]tempting[/s:beeac1e5d4] offering us with, first it was cable, now its verison.

In any case, I might wait till black-friday to get some of these things, this time.

-vhelp 5239
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out the "7 days of Windows 7 savings" computer deals on the Microsoft site.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/offers/7-days/

Look at this

HP Laptop, Netbook, Desktop and a router with install all for $1199 (same as the cheapest iMac).
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/offers/7-days/Compare.aspx?filter=Best Buy
    Quote Quote  
  17. Where was the choice for eventually I'll have a new machine with W7?

I'm sure my Q6600 with 4Gb would run W7 fine. However When XP works OK on it too, Why spend the money? Oh wait, That's right I'm the guy that didn't replace his old car when it was paid for. 5 minutes of driving to work and then back home at really high speed (up to 40Mph that is). So the AC is dead. several days a year I even miss the AC. The heater died in 97, I finally got it fixed.... hmmm... heat or W7.... heat won.

Or to put it another way, It ain't broke so I ain't fixing it. I'll have to fix it when Microsoft stops the security updates or I can't get AV apps for it, whichever comes first.

I expect support for a while on XP since Netbooks are being sold with XPHome currently and We've been selling New Toshibas that had Vista Business and recovery media to switch to XP Pro this year.

BTW I suspect that Netbooks and XPH were one of teh driving forces to get W& out the door.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When XP came out, people said they would stay with stable Win2000 or Win98SE.

When Win 8 comes out, people will want to stay on stable Win7.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where's the "Running XP, waiting for Windows 7 SP1 so the bugs will be worked out" option?

I'm actually still running 98SE on one machine and XP SP3 on the other two.
    Old ICBM Coordinates: 39 45' 0.0224" N 89 43' 1.7548" W. New coordinates: 39 47' 48.0" N 89 38' 35.7548" W.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    15 million used the Win7 Beta and all were being monitored under the Beta terms. I think we got the SP1 this week.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Still on Win2K on my primary, XP on my laptop. If or when I can finally upgrade my hardware, it will probably come with Win7, but until then (in other words, for the foreseeable future), I'll be staying with what I have.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  22. i just got a free copy of Windows Server 2008 R2(from my kid who's in the dreamspark program) i think i may build a dual quad-core box for us to test it out on. support for 256 cpus, but i don't think i can afford that many based on the same nt6.1 as win7 i believe. haven't a clue what will run on it yet though...

ouch - dual xeon 55xx's won't come cheap. just checked newegg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    i just got a free copy of Windows Server 2008 R2(from my kid who's in the dreamspark program) i think i may build a dual quad-core box for us to test it out on. support for 256 cpus, but i don't think i can afford that many based on the same nt6.1 as win7 i believe. haven't a clue what will run on it yet though...

ouch - dual xeon 55xx's won't come cheap. just checked newegg.
    Why put that much CPU on a server? Use them for a workstation instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get my W7 home 32 bit on Tuesday which will be installed on my mini itx system that's hooked up to my 40 inch LCD TV. All my other pc's run XP PRO which is great. I've been using W7 RTM version for awhile now with my mini itx system and I do like it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. My netbook has running 7 Ultimate for a while. My main desktop is running Vista Business SP2. I have a Ubuntu system and another running XPSP3.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's early but it looks like XP is blowing away the competition

I'm thinking Arbys
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Been running the Beta/RCs on a tablet notebook for months with no problems. Will probably get a new boot drive for the desktop and keep the old XP drive on ice for a little while when I upgrade.

I like W7 so far, but it certainly does need more grunt than XP to get the same performance
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  28. No doubt W7 is fast. But then so would XP be on those new quad core computers.

w7 compatibility checker at MS says I would need a new scanner.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been running fine on my main machine for about a month. Upgraded a Vista Ult 64 to Win7 Ult 64 with no issues*. Although I had been running fine with Vista, with admittedly some UAC tweaks. However, I haven't applied those same UAC tweaks tweaks to Win7. UAC is plays much more nicely this time around.

(* = Well, once I found out the *real* issue. Had a virtual IDE driver leftover from a daemon tools uninstall that the Win7 hardware check didn't like. Actually, forced the upgrade to back out. Didn't feel like a clean install... probably should have... but things have been running just fine.)
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm "rebuilding" an old computer - meaning I'm keeping the case - and I will install Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I have to maintain the illusion that I know what I am talking about when people ask for my opinion on computer stuff. The rest of the family computers will stay on XP3 for now.
    Quote Quote