VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is really bad news! No more Verbatim brand disc's! They make the only reliable DVD+R DL media. Where do we go now for decent DL media? Link to this article is listed below. I guess that we better start stocking up on media now while we can still get it.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=32239

If this is posted in the wrong forum topic I would appreciate it if a moderator would move it. Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hard to tell what to make of this. The article says that they have outsourced disc production to Taiwan and India. Verbatim's Taiwan made media has only been of the highest quality, so this may not be a big deal. Their India made media got widely different reviews here. I did have one coaster but in general it burned fine for me. Other swore the made in India discs were 100% garbage and we had a few people who swore they were as good as the made in Singapore ones.

I don't know that there is any reliable DL media outside of Verbatim. You can get Taiyo Yuden DVD-R DL discs, but they are EXPENSIVE (if you can find a place that sells them) and I'm not really sold on the DVD-R DL format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The media production services have been in decline pretty well since online streaming and personal media center devices come about, as these improve the market for blank media declines ... The last few movie titles releases on dvd here in au have all been on SL media only.

If they do stop production will they allow the now production plants to continue to produce using there patented azo dye or cease completely ... then those still using the media are up the creek looking for a direct and reliable replacement.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Note the update in the Op's linked news item and the link there to Mitsubishi Kagaku Media's statement.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can buy Taiyo Yuden for my CD-R (yes, I still use those) and single layer DVD needs. And SuperMeidaStore has resumed selling Taiyo Yuden's BD-R LTH discs, which are the best BD-R discs I've ever used. I guess I'll have to stock up on DVD+R DL and DVD+RW discs in the short term though as I cannot get those from Taiyo Yuden.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    The media production services have been in decline pretty well since online streaming and personal media center devices come about, as these improve the market for blank media declines ... The last few movie titles releases on dvd here in au have all been on SL media only.

If they do stop production will they allow the now production plants to continue to produce using there patented azo dye or cease completely ... then those still using the media are up the creek looking for a direct and reliable replacement.
    I'm not sure what streaming has to do with DVD or BD backup? We use disc for retention of data including audio, video and photos. Streaming is for video and audio rental. Those who store on disc are not renting.
    I also would not trust my business to any of the cloud services. We say what happened with Megaupload the other day. Many were using that for REAL business data and now poof...gone never to be accessed. Sad really.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The original article by cdrinfo.com was simply wrong. That's all there is to it.
    MKM contacted them to set the record straight.

I discussed it a little more in-depth here: Mitsubishi outsourcing all disc production?

No worries.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote