VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. Im looking for an external hdd that can accept wireless file transfers from
    My pc, that also has a usb connection i can plug into my xbox to read said files. Do not want to stream files from
    Wireless hdd to xbox. Must be through usb. Does anyone know of such a device? The closest ive found is portable wireless hdds that are more for smartphones and tablets. Also, what would such a device be catagorized as? A media hub? Or just wireless external hdd?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm getting old.....I never knew these existed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for reply. I did look hard, most if not all are portable and battery powered (more $).
    Im looking for either a usb or ac powered stationary external hdd w wifi that can receive files from pc. Maybe they dont exist.
    Or even a usb flash drive that can receive files files via wifi from pc. Ive seen one from sandisk but again its got 1000 bells and whistles for ios and android.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    [OT]Maybe I'm getting old, but what the heck is wrong with a couple of wires?! They're much more reliable and easier to set up.[/OT]

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'm getting old.....I never knew these existed.
    Me either. And I have even less of an excuse as I work IT. All I can say is that I've never used them, my work hasn't used them, and I don't know anybody who has.

Having said that, I am completely baffled as to why the OP is hell bent on doing this wirelessly and nothing posted so far convinces me that a normal USB attached drive couldn't do the job cheaper and easier than insisting on wireless data transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Pc is in other room
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by The mikeman View Post
    Pc is in other room
    Um... many USB drives don't even need to be plugged into a wall.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I know but all that ive seen that have wifi have a battery or an ac
    Quote Quote  
  9. Like hech and cornucopia, I'm baffled as to why you think a wifi HD is a good solution at all. But you seem to feel it's necessary, so I sincerely hope it works for you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by The mikeman View Post
    Pc is in other room
    That's one of the things FEET are for.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm still amazed and baffled by my iPhone's ability to receive and store files/data from my PC via AirDisk Pro and a web browser.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ummm... most decent routers these days have one or two USB ports. Assuming you have an adequate router, and you PC is (wired or wirelessly) networked, why not just plug a regular USB hard drive into the router? Or, if the router doesn't have a USB port, either buy a new router or connect a drive like a WD MyBook Live to the existing router using ethernet, and network the Xbox (wired or wirelessly)?

Either of these is a more orthodox solution that will likely give a better result than what you are trying to do.

Oh, and if the stuff on the drive actually matters to you, consider a twin-bay NAS with RAID1 mirroring, connected to the router as per the MyBook suggestion. Not much more expensive than what you are looking at, better performance, and a hell of a lot safer for data given drive failure rates.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Pc is in other room

Scott
    Are we on a technology based site? How about everyone here just post replies like "just rent the dvd"
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thx smrpix
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822301013&cm_re=wireless_hard_dr...-013-_-Product

I'd use Scott's suggestion myself. I need the exercise. Plus, transferring files wirelessly is a slow process.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are we on a technology based site? How about everyone here just post replies like "just rent the dvd"
    You're new here, so like it or not...
    1) We have no way to know what your technical level is and there is some chance that just because you want to do something specific, it's not the best choice.
    2) It's possible that you haven't considered other alternatives at all.

Is it really necessary for me to have to point out that you CAN do a lot of things, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD do them? But you hurt none of us by doing this whether it's a good idea or not so go ahead if you wish. If your questions aren't answered by now, you'll have to be more specific about what you still need to know.

If you can't take this, and this whole thread is really pretty mild in my opinion, you're not going to last long here.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Pc is in other room

Scott
    Because (i) you are brand new here; and (ii) your question seems illogical to many readers.

It's like newly registering for a carpentry site, asking "which screwdriver is best to bang in this nail?", and then being surprised when some people suggest using a hammer instead of nominating a type of screwdriver.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Lol its ok, i can take it! Just wanna be able to send a video file to a wireless external harddrive in another room that can connect to xbox through usb, not wirelessly because the wireless interferes with my headphones. If the wifi didnt interfere w my headphones (turtle beach btw) then i would simply stream video. I appreciate that others have alternative suggestions, but "thats what FEET are for"?! Im sure thats what Fred Flindstone said when someone asked if anyone knew of a rubber circle that could be attached to a car to make it easier to get places faster
    Quote Quote  
  19. I got better for you mikeman : a USB Dock with wifi
    http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-DK05U3-BK
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  20. You will probably have to disconnect the USB cable from the xbox whenever you want to copy files to the drive via wifi. You can't have two operating systems (Windows on the xbox, linux on the wifi connection) accessing the hard drive as a dumb block device at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!