VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello
    Recently I had to format an external hd containing many video files in different formats.
    Using r-studio, i was able to restore many of theml.
    I have tried playing some of them using kmplayer, or xmbc's player.Some play fine, but others refuse to play.
    I downloaded divfix, and i let it check an avi file which i knew not to be working. it reported that it was not an avi file.
    Is there a similar program for other video types particularly i suppose mp4's and flvs'. ie a program giving the user the option to add multiple files and then check them for errors.
    Of course sometimes you can recognise a file to be false because of it's size. but the avi file reported as not an avi file was around the 700 mark.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo is not fooled by wrong file extensions.

But I don't know whether it supports batch-processing...

And corrupted files are bad stuff anyway, regardless of their filenames.

Of course sometimes you can recognise a file to be false because of it's size
    That makes no sense.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Of course sometimes you can recognise a file to be false because of it's size"
    "That makes no sense."
    Well if a file is called batman.avi and it's listed as 0 bytes, or even 40 mbs, then you know something is wrong.
    That program is just what i was looking for. Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VLC video player is sometimes able to repair files..... check out this link..... lots of info here

https://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-1.1.x#File_and_media_format_compatibility_related...s_and_problems

However.... trying to fix damaged files is a risky proposition...... it's like a smashed up car....... even if you fix it, there is a chance that it still might not work right anyway.

TC
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just delete them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @steve6: you gave an interesting RE-definition to the adjective "false"

Yes, precise terminology IS important.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!