VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello...

I've gone through the forums and am still unclear concerning two basic scenarios:

First, I want to save some DVDs to my hard drive as a giant file without losing any quality. What would be the format to save it to and what would be the best utility to do it with?

Second, if I wanted to edit those saved files (just basic stuff), again without losing any quality, what program would I use?

I apologize because I suspect I've overlooked the answer somewhere here, and it involves MPEGs and TMPG software. But if someone can clarify it for me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only way to not lose any quality is to copy the video_ts & audio_ts folders off the dvd to the hard drive. put them in a folder with whatever you wish to name it. plan for about 4.5GB/each full dvdr. it's that easy. it will still be in dvd form.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks aedipuss.

Does this mean that there is no file format (like MPEG) that preserves the original quality? It seems clumsy saving all those VOB files, and I'd prefer one combined file.

Either way, what is the best program to use for editing?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing you have with the "original" quality is the DVD itself. It doesn't get any better than that, for you. The VOB files are it. Any conversion is going to alter that to some degree.

Also look at: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic343208.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by kimco52
    The only thing you have with the "original" quality is the DVD itself. It doesn't get any better than that, for you.
    Well, he did ask about MPEG. As VOB files contain MPEG-2 video, he can convert to MPEG with no quality loss. Try VOB2MPEG. As for getting one large file, you can get that in VOB form by decrypting into one large VOB file. It's easy to set DVD Decrypter to do that. Or do it when using VOB2MPEG on the VOBs. As for editing, try VideoRedo, Womble MPEG Video Wizard, Cuttermaran, or MPEG2Schnitt, or maybe try searching in Tools for others, freeware or commercial.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Well, he did ask about MPEG. As VOB files contain MPEG-2 video, "
    You are correct. He still won't get any better quality than he has now.

I have, on occasion, changed the name of vob's from .vob to .mpg and double clicked on them and they play just fine with Windows Media Player. Double clicking on .vob does not work that way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have, on occasion, changed the name of vob's from .vob to .mpg and double clicked on them and they play just fine with Windows Media Player. Double clicking on .vob does not work that way.
    Maybe not a double click (without setting an association) but every player I have (including WMP) will play VOB's without a name change. I have specifically associated NeroShowTime to open them with a double click though.

As usual, manono's advice is spot on.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I could set up an association but haven't had the need to.

I don't see anything manono said that I would disagree with.
    Quote Quote