VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an VHS tape of an OOP film that I transferred to DVD by connecting my VCR to my Toshiba set-top DVD recorder. There was no Macrovision on the VHS so the transfer was smooth. But when I went to watch the DVD with some friends the image would stutter every few minutes on my friend's DVD player (it was smooth on the Toshiba and on my Pillips DVD player). I know from the helpful advice from folks on this forum that this stutter can be caused by timecode breaks, so I used MTR to extract the VIDEO_TS and fixed timecode breaks for each VOB (I have run into problems in the past when I opened all VOBs as a stream and fixed that way because my audio and video were no longer synced). I then dragged each mpeg that was produced from fixing the timecode into Toast (using the video tab feature), saved as Disc Image, mounted the disc image and extracted with Toast so I could fix bad sectors with MyDVDEdit. And then burned that new VIDEO_TS using Toast (using the Data tab UDF setting).

Anyway, when we started to watch the DVD there were missing parts that seemed to line up with where the stutters occurred before. I do not remember this happening in the past when I used MPEGStreamclip to fix timecode breaks. Those fixes are just smoothing out the breaks, no? Or is MPEGStreamclip cutting those parts? If it is not cutting then can anyone offer some advice to fix this problem? I need a DVD that doesn't stutter and I need a DVD that is not missing parts. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you copy the VOB files to a folder of it's own on the hard disk and then run ProjectX in Demux mode (this mode only) it will fix all errors better than MPEGStreamclip. MPEGStreamclip will do a good job as well but ProjectX is IMO the best for doing this and in my experience doesn't remove any video in the process. Both programs are available in MAC format. When you have the separate video and audio tracks you can remyux them into a MPEG2 file with MPEGStreamclip by selecting the video file and it should pick up the audio as well and remux to MPEG2. With that file you can author a DVD. The set up for Pre-settings in ProjectX can be found in my wiki.

ProjectX will also join up the VOB files for processing just shift select all of them. (can't remember now if you have to select them in reverse order but you will soon find out!)

If you can't find ProjectX for MAC PM me and I can email it to you
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote