VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Required Tools: Subtosup and DvdsubEdit

1. Launch Subtosup. Click [....] or File then Open.

Browse to the folder that contains the IDX file, then double click file to Open.

2. A Subtosup 0.9 Beta window will appear, just click ok and close Subtosup.

A subtitle-id_with different langages will appear in the folder.. (example: subtitle-id_en_0x20).

3. Then launch DvdSubEdit. Drag n drop subtitle-id_en_0x20.sup file onto DvdsubEdit window.

2nd window will appear requesting ifo, just press cancel to continue.

4.Now Look to the bottom right of DvdSubEdit window, there's a button call "Run OCR".

This process the sup file.

A "Running OCR" window appear.

Once finished, your now able to press "Save as .srt", a "Save OCR output as .srt file".

Note save the srt with the same name as your movie file but with the extension .srt

(example: if batman_forever.avi is the name of the movie then batman_forever.srt is the subtitle file you save.)

5. Congradulations, you avoided typing a manuscript.
    FireWalker and IceBreaker{BaWp}
    of Black and White Productions
    Quote Quote  
  2. Never mind. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  3. WORKED...
    GREAT.....
    WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. This worked perfectly! Thank you VERY MUCH FireWalker!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is "The Bunker" a movie or a project?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle Edit is another good free tool doing the same job.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Is "The Bunker" a movie or a project?

Originally Posted by tbracken View Post
    Thanks very much for your help.

This worked perfectly on a download I had called "The Bunker".
    It contained an avi file and 2 files for subtitling (sub and idx files)

I was able to convert the files over to an srt file and then play the
    move with mplayer.

(Here are some good options to use with mplayer when you want to
    display subtitles as part of the black bar on the bottom on widescreen movies, instead
    of having the subtitles show up on top of the video image.

mplayer -fs -ass -ass-use-margins -ass-top-margin 70 -ass-bottom-margin 70 -ass-color 0090ff00 -ass-border-color 00000000 -ass-font-scale 1.8 -fontconfig -font arial "/Movies/Der Untergang - Downfall (2004).avi" )
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't believe it was so simple. All the while I have been using subrip where I had to type half a manuscript. The worst part of it was that the character set used was different from one movie to the other and the preocess had to be repeated.

This one did the job in under 2 minutes that includes keeping this page open in one window and following the instructions in the other.

Thank you very much. You are a life saver.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The guide was perfect but I've got a problem. This method works with English subtitles but when I try to convert
    .sub subtitles in other languages to srt, the converted subtitles do not appear correctly and I see some strange characters instead of the texts. For Example:__ !_' ...__I#i!

In subtitle creating softwares(like subtitle workshop) the same problem occurs, but it is easily solved when you change the charsets.

So, I wanted to know if there is a similar thing in DVDsubEdit or a way to solve my problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Couple of conversions went very well but than I encountered one that was absolutely horrible. It very much depends, I guess, on the fonts used by the original creator. Thankfully it makes identical error for the same character.

What I did was to first convert using the procedure described above. Then I used a text editor with find and either replace or skip procedure with editor on one PC and the movie playing on another. Had to repeat this process several times for different errors. It was a bit laborious but the final result was a thousand times better than watching the movie with original subtitles !
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ulapines View Post
    I agree entirely. This one is far superior to the subtosup + DVDsubedit combo. Quite often the latter does a horrible job of OCR and the worst part of it is that there is no included spell check. So going back and correcting all the errors is extremely painful. The funny part is even when the displayed fond form idx+sub combo is as sharp as the regular srt file these errors occur.
    Quote Quote  
  12. This failed for me. The "Run OCR" popped up the progress window briefly and closed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by pmshah View Post
    Originally Posted by ulapines View Post
    I agree entirely. This one is far superior to the subtosup + DVDsubedit combo. Quite often the latter does a horrible job of OCR and the worst part of it is that there is no included spell check. So going back and correcting all the errors is extremely painful. The funny part is even when the displayed fond form idx+sub combo is as sharp as the regular srt file these errors occur.
    Just tried Subtitle Edit. Only tried one srt from idx/sub but it seemed to do a good job. I was doing something similar to the guide except I used BDSup2Sub on PGS subs to reduce the resolution to 720x480 and export the ifo/sup files. Then I imported into DVDSubEdit.

Occasionally I got the lines with underscore characters as noted in the thread. But the majority of English subs I tried came out with no edits required. I got a lot of garbled lines when processing PGS subs, then out of frustration I tried downsizing the resolution to 720x480 first. Seemed to make a world of difference. I suspect the automatic OCR in DVDSubEdit is tuned to English at DVD resolution.

Nice to have another method though. Subtitle Edit is in the toolbox.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ulapines
    Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
    Just tried Subtitle Edit. Only tried one srt from idx/sub but it seemed to do a good job. I was doing something similar to the guide except I used BDSup2Sub on PGS subs to reduce the resolution to 720x480 and export the ifo/sup files. Then I imported into DVDSubEdit.

. . .

Nice to have another method though. Subtitle Edit is in the toolbox.
    Just tried to use this (see paste-in from another thread, below), and I guess I need to find the guide you were referring to.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just had a case of an .Avi that had 3 subtitle streams in its accompanying Sub / Idx pair. AVStoDVD only picked up on the first one, which identified itself as English, but was actually Chinese. There was also (as found by Subtitle Edit 3.0) a "0x21" that was some other Asian language, and then finally a "0x22" which was the English. (I knew the English subs had to be in there, because I saw them when playing the AVI with the VLC player . . . which I think also misidentified the subtitle streams, but let you choose any of them to use.) Letting AVS handle this job in the usual way just installed the Chinese subs. I saw no way to get to the other two.

I thought you had a somewhat automated routine for converting Sub / Idx to .Srt, which I'd actually seen work in the past (Sub / Idx being really a pain-in-the-rear choice, so I'm wondering why it gets used as often as it does), but my recall might be faulty on that. So I wound up converting it manually with SE3. That turned out to be quite tedious and annoying, perhaps largely due to my general unfamiliarity with the program, but I think the result may be usable. For the future, though, I think I'd like to find an easier way.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why tedious and annoying ? I think in this case I might have settled for letting a program just process the whole file straight through, applying a "best guess" approach to everything. (For a job that was more important, I could see sticking with the line-by-line check.) But I saw no way to disengage from the spell-check phase and move on. Worst of all, SE kept blanking the screen, putting the monitor into standby mode, and not always coming back from this, forcing me to turn the monitor Off and then back On manually. Otherwise -- as you said -- I'm sure this will be a useful program to have in the toolkit.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Seeker47
    I think you have some other problem with your system. Apparently your PC is not fully ACPI compliant. A least that was the message I used to get on my older machine. I have 3 PCs on which I run SE. Except for speed - obviously - it run flawlessly. Try out freeware software named DontSleep from www.softwareok.com. It does exactly what the name says. uTorrent does a fine job of not letting the PC sleep but the HTTP download manager I use at night ( unmetered higher speed downloads) does not . DontSleep comes in handy. I simply switch off the monitor and go to sleep. The next morning the completed downloadjob awaits me. Of course you could also change the power settings temporarily to prevent sleep mode.

When DVDSubEdit messes up it is a real pain to figure out what the garbled text - if you can call it text at all - represents. I simply gave up on it. Now I do my conversions only on my quad Phenom and I am through in under 15 minutes, including when I may have made a typos especially for Eastern European Names and nouns. BTW I am retired person and am not pressed for time in this respect. I sit with a paper and pencil and note where the originals themselves contain spelling or grammatical mistakes to fix them subsequently.

@milesahead
    I have had a lot of trouble with PGS format subs in mp4 titles. Normally I downsize all the rips to 2 mbps mostly using Handbrake which does not recognize the PGS subs. MKV Merge can but mkvextract can't extract. Neither can the TS Muxer. I have to do a bit of juggling by taking the original rip - maybe 6 - 8 GB, add the output file from Hanbdbrake and remove the original video and audio track to come up with reduced size MKV with PGS subs properly included. I will now experiment with BDSup2Sub and see if I can come up with clean SRT file.
    Last edited by pmshah; 7th Jul 2012 at 19:56. Reason: Addition to the original.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It's worked , Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem solved with subs by using hardcoded version.
    Last edited by rogmath; 9th Jul 2013 at 01:55.
    Quote Quote