VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a 32 core Threadripper workstation to do movie film restoration. I had to get Windows 10 64 bit Pro. I rely on the tools described below and I just can't get the added dlls to run on the new machine. Could anybody tell me please if they have succeeded in doing this or if it is even possible? Are there better tools available? I might learn FFMPEG from scratch, but it seems to be lacking the 'dust and scratch' removal filter. Too much time is being lost!

My Windows 7 64 bit system runs the description below with no problems:

VirtualDub-1.10.4 (32 bit)
    The 8mm restoring package is described at:
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144271

and the dlls and example scripts are from this published link at the top of the thread:
    package link: http://www.super-8.be/avisynth/Film_Restoring_vs_06_2012.zip

AviSynth 2.6.0 (32 bit) downloaded from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/avisynth2/files/latest/download
    and is the AviSynth_260.exe installer to C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth

fftw3.dll is in the scripts directory where my restoration script is located.

... on Windows 10, VirtualDub and the default AviSynth seems fine. An AviSynth script with something like "Version ()" reports as expected. In this example, I get a message "AviSynth 2.6.0, build:Mar 31 2015 (etc etc).

With Video Fred's scripts, on Windows 10, VirtualDub will complain 'LoadPlugin: unable to load "plugins/RemoveGrain.dll", Module not found, Install missing library?'
    Other complaints will be made about removedirt.dll, warpsharp.dll, and RemoveDirtMC.avs.
    This same setup works fine in Windows 7. Is there any hope in it working on the new system?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have the Microsoft Visual Library stuff needed for these? Check their pages on the AviSynth website for more info. And RGTools has replaced RemoveGrain now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks manono,
    The Visual C++ Redistributables for 2008 were already there (as both x86 and 64). I just installed the 2015 versions for both, but still get the same error. My Win 7 system has the redistributables for a number of versions between 2005 to 2015. I haven't tried to any of the others as yet.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I haven't thought of this area and I can't remember what I did to the other computer over the last 8 years.
    Unfortunately, I have now installed most or all of the various runtime libraries as are listed in my Windows 7 system, and the problem hasn't gone away, even after a re-boot.

I looked at October262's link to Doom9, and have downloaded the Dependency Walker. It will take some time for me to understand what I am looking at, but it seems to complain over any DLL I try to load. The link in that thread to Groucho2004's tool seems broken.
    These suggestions all make good sense, and your help led me to this issue. I will keep watching here for other comments, but probably won't comment again until my problem is either fixed or I have some intelligent questions after understanding Dependency Walker.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Meloware View Post
    fftw3.dll is in the scripts directory where my restoration script is located.
    with 64 bit windows the 32 bit version of fftw3.dll belongs in the C:\Windows\SYSWOW64 folder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay,
    I made scans using Dependency Walker on both my working Windows 7 system, and the problem Windows 10 system. ANY dll I scan on the Win 10 system complains everywhere about various missing dlls named API-MS-WIN-*** and EXT-MS-WIN-*** . I can't seem to find any other missing dependencies but I haven't individually checked every dll in my plugins directory. Is this normal behavior in Win 10 or is this a problem? I have seen comments elsewhere online that these errors might be ignored.
    Does somebody have a working link for Groucho2004's info scan tool?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found this link: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174525

Groucho2004 says: "I discontinued that tool a long time ago because it had several bugs that I don't want to fix and it was only for 32 bit Avisynth.
    AVSMeter provides the same functionality (and a lot more) using the "-avsinfo" switch."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Meloware View Post
    With Video Fred's scripts, on Windows 10, VirtualDub will complain 'LoadPlugin: unable to load "plugins/RemoveGrain.dll", Module not found, Install missing library?'
    Other complaints will be made about removedirt.dll, warpsharp.dll, and RemoveDirtMC.avs.
    This same setup works fine in Windows 7. Is there any hope in it working on the new system?
    Your Win10 is missing Msvcp71.dll and Msvcr71.dll. The fixes at Fix Msvcp71.dll And Msvcr71.dll Missing Error In Windows 7 work for both W7 and W10. The download link for the two dll's is near the bottom of the page and is https://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Msvcp71.dll-And-Msvcr71.dll-files.zip. They are both 32-bit dll's.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LMotlow: YES!
    Many hours of frustration are now ended and I may move forward! These two dlls you mentioned now allow my scripts to open in VirtualDub. Thank you so much to all who commented and I hope this thread prevents many others from wasting precious time.
    Quote Quote