VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to create a VCD actuall a mixed CD I guess. I've made a slideshow and I'd like to make a VCD so that when they pop it in their DVD player it show the slideshow, however also include the regular pictures in there.

The only issue I have is how to actuall create a simple VCD, I've been looking at th guides I'm now searching the fourms and I can't find an answer.
    I've seen a few that seem like they might be simple but as soon as I research the needed tools if I don't have them and they cost money I skip it.
    I started to look at the TSCV guide but after it said that for a simple VCD and a beginner is overkill I stopped. I can convert the video to whatever it just the act of actuall getting the format right, example: All VCDs I've ever encountered had .dat files as oppsoed to .mpg, is that a different container just as with DVDs and VOBs, after that I put it in the video_ts folder and done (actually now that I think about it I think I was using nero and I don't know if it did any adition non-encoding work)

My project details
    Video should be about 10 minutes in runtime, I can shorten it.
    Picture data will be around 180MB and I'm trying to fit this on a 80 minute disc.

Help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Encode Video to std. MPEG1/VCD specs with TMPGEnc.
    Encode Pix to MPGStills with VCDEasy's Stills Tool.
    Add Both to VCDEasy session. Add addition files/folders in [ISO] section, burn.

Won't be easier (or more compliant, more versatile) than that. Read up on VCDEasy/VCDImager with guides at those sites.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VCDEasy doesn't seem to be free. I need to use somemthing that isn't a trial and doesn't require me to pay.

The content will be pure video, I don't need to create a VCD slide show.

I do see that VCDImager is free and has a few front ends, I thought it was just a burning program I'll take a look at it from that route.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bigstusexy
    VCDEasy doesn't seem to be free.
    There's link there for older version which is free.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, Thanks thecoalman, I really only look in the category boxes and I didn't even check lower on the descritions to see that there was a older freeware version. I'll test this out tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    bigstusexy - If you live in the USA, you can damn afford to pay VCDEasy's ONE TIME fee which gives you FREE LIFETIME UPGRADES. Forgive me for feeling no sympathy at all for your plight.

Note that all DVD players in the USA do NOT necessarily play VCDs. Most do, but some, usually older ones, do not. None of the current HD format players (HD-DVD and BluRay) will play VCDs.

If you have Nero, it can make VCDs but Nero takes some liberties with the standards and the VCDs it creates are not totally compliant. If you are creating a slide show with Nero, I can tell you from personal experience that VCD slideshows created with Nero were problems in the past for various Pioneer players because Nero played a little loose with the standards for such discs. VCDEasy creates VCDs that play correctly on any DVD player that supports VCD, hence a strong argument for using it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98, I well know what I can and can't afford. I don't want to get off on a tangent however I will say that its not always a matter of what can be afforded, this is a one time use as a favor, I'm not going to do this as a business or something often.

The way I'm looking at this project to go is
    DVD Slideshow GUI > Out as an Mpeg file.
    [Possibly running the file through AVIVO to make it an SVCD compliant file.
    VCD Easy for authoring.
    Burn or insert files into the image and burn.

As with most technology the field is wide, thansk for the information about HD and Blue Ray players, I didn't know that they had scrapped the formate, I don't think I'll really have an issue as I'm shooting for the wider but slower to adopt section of compatiability. Actually I don't know what all their family will have but so far it doesn't sound like anyone even has a widescreen TV.

Hopefully I can finish this sometimes this weekend I'm at step 2 or 3, I'll reply and let you all know how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IT went well. A few tips to anyone looking for information:
    I had to use Tmpeg to convert the video. AVIVO did it but it left the fps at 30. I also resided the video from DVD Slideshow Don't worry about aspect ratio once the video is put into 4x3 it will look correct. Maybe you can build a compliant mpeg with ffmpeg?

IMGBurn will not work for this application
    #1 It currently doesn't do mix mode CDs.
    #2 Still doesn't do audio CDs
    #3 Doesn't support cue files yet either.

The 360 does not support SVCDs probably not VCD either.

In this project I made a slideshow video, no need to be any fancier than that. The video auto plays upon loading. When loaded into a computer it will auto run an AutoIT program which asks if you want to play a slideshow, then tells you to hit esc when you want to exit then finally it runs the slideshow exe in the same directory. That slide show is made from irfanview's slide show exe export. The original pictures are included and they can get them printed at a kiosk if wanted

Autoit 3 Script for anyone who wants it.
    Code:
    #cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.1.1.0
     Author: 

Script Function:
    	Template AutoIt script.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here
    Dim $ans, $ans2
    $ans = MsgBox(65, "Family Reunion 2007 Pictures", "Would you like to run the PC Slide show?")
    If $ans == 1 Then $ans2 = MsgBox(1, "Important","To exit the slideshow hit ESC")
    	IF $ans2 == 1 Then
    		Run("Reunion.exe")
    	Else

EndIf
    Reunion.exe is the name of the file to run if they agree on booth boxes, saying no will end the program on either box.

I use three parts in the message box they are A number,Title of the box, message in the box. Don't change the number unless you read the help and know what you are doing, for changed everything else just change the information inside the quotes.
    This script will run and first present the first message box, checks the answer and either quits if the disagree or continues if they agree. They will be presented with a second box on agreement, this is a good place for information like how to control the program. You can take this scrip and put it in the autoIT script editor make your changes, check your syntax and the build a standalone exe.

Have fun.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You may wish to give burnatonce a try. Although I've not tried your particular experiment, I've used it to burn many VCD and XVCD .bin/cue files without any problems, including some not-totally compliant multi-track discs. For a free tool, it is remarkably capable.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks I had to tweak something and I used BAO to burn and it went smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to hear that BAO did the job. For a piece of freeware, it sure can do a lot!
    Quote Quote