VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Just got called by a client with 1.6TB of their active project server drive - the entire directory disappeared. Fortunately, I had talked these guys into investing in a backup "mirror" server a few years back. I had set up an hourly changed files backup, plus a full backup of all data every Friday night in case the hourly backup missed a few files. In case of a full server crash (or Raid 5 disaster), the backup server is a few clicks away from being renamed and given the same IP address of the main server. These guys would have been put out of business had there not been a safety measure in place. Instead, every folder and file older than 1hr ago is being fully restored.

Anyway, a little OT from the usual stuff we discuss, but just a real live scenario of the importance of backing up data. Disk space is so cheap these days, it's stupid NOT to perform backups. Every PC, server, drive, etc is just a disaster waiting to happen. A 1 TB of external disk space is $250.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I broke down & brought two Seagate 1 TB of external Hard drive for all my back ups( at least the important ones). Thats just sound business practice.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Indeed.

"Yeah, I've got backup software."

"When was your last backup?"

<silence>
    Quote Quote  
  4. uh... you did test the backups?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course. Hard drive to hard drive straight copies over a gigabit LAN. I've been burned by commercial backup solutions in the past. Nothing simpler or more easily maintained than using the Xcopy command. You just have to make sure you have enough space on your backup drives.
    Quote Quote  
  6. For me, Veritas 9
    Differential Mon - Thr
    Full on Fridays

For the full backups, the same tapes are not used for 2 months. The differentials are over written weekly
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been meaning to do that regularly. Still haven't.

I have all my original program discs of course so that isn't really an issue. Most of my data files are just junk that isn't crucial. Now that I have a 30gb dell mp3 player even all my mp3s are backed up in a manner. I do have some backed up on my wd external drive. I just haven't gotten around to doing it.........
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use Acronis TI Home 9 with an external drive just for my main hard drive. The other two in my system hold non critical data that I burn off to DVD from time to time. We have Veritas at work and it seems to do it's job fine. I've never had to test it though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well this finally inspired me. I just bought and am downloading Norton Save and Restore 2.0. I couldn't see the need for spending an extra 20.00 for Norton Ghost. All I really want to do is the backup and restore. I couldn't tell the extra benefit of Ghost.

Now the only downside is I can't tell for sure if it is useable on 2 pcs or not. I'm going to install it on my Vista pc and yes it is vista compatible. Assuming it works out as well as I hope I may buy a second license for my xp machine.

I only have one external usb drive. I think what I'll do is use it on my vista pc. Then I think I'll use dvds for my xp machine.

Now all I have to do is commit to the backup regularly to make this investment worthwhile. Defintely better spending the 50.00 on backup and restore software then buying BIOSHOCK. Though I may buy the later you never know
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using ImageX to do monthly backups of the OS drive but it has a mirrored drive that'll kick in if the other fails so really I'd have to lose both to need the images.

Funny thing is I've never lost an OS drive, only storage drives. I think given the option I'd rather the OS drive goes down because restoring it is pretty quick as opposed to the massive amounts of data transfer required for my storage drives. I've been considering setting up a storage array and running mirrors since I have the drives and the space to do so but I just don't want to invest in the hardware again. Storage arrays are $$$ for pretty simple consumer use.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Acronis 9.0 for backups to an external drive and it has proven itself when it really counts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'm almost done with my first backup with save and restore. Very easy. It even automatically detected my external usb drive and suggested that location as the main backup choice!

It looks like it will take about a total of 20-25minutes to backup 40-50gbs from my c drive to the backup drive. Not bad

I'm gonna set it up for weekly backups now. I'll try to figure out how to do incremental backups now that I will have a full backup point to work from.

I also believe I can use it on my xp machine. That will be nice. But like i said I think I'll use blank dvds for that application and leave my usb drive on my vista pc. That is so simple, just click and backup
    Quote Quote