VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have recently been converting my blu-ray collection using handbrake, on just the "normal" profile.
    All the blu-rays I have used, use DTS-HD MA 5.1
    I then realized I had excluded subtitles from the MP4, which was necessary for some of the Game of Thrones "Darthraki" scenes. I followed a guide which involved using "HdBrStreamExtractor.exe", with eac3to, to extract the subtitles in SUP format, which I then converted to SUB/IDX, and used Media-Player Classic to load the subtitles in as I was playing the MP4s (not bothered about coding them into the file).

I then went back to "HdBrStreamExtractor.exe", and noticed you could extract (what I think is) the raw video stream and place it in an MKV. I did that and also used the application to extract the 5.1 DTS-HD MA into a .dtshd file, and got the subtitles back out, as well.

I then used MKVMergeGUI to mux the 3 files above (.mkv, .dtshd and .sup) into a new MKV. This resulted in a ~11gb file.
    I then realized this is exactly what MakeMKV does (I never understood it before), and I'd just wasted a load of time. I repeated the process with MakeMKV, selecting exactly the same streams, which resulted in a ~12gb file.

I used "mediainfo" on the two files (one manually extracted then merged with MKVMerge GUI, one made with MakeMKV), and found that the one made with MakeMKV had an extra audio stream - DTS 3/2+1. Both had the DTS-HD.

Now, after that extremely long recount about my recent activities, please prepare for a multitude of questions

1) Why did MakeMKV include this extra stream?
    2) What is this extra stream? I presume it's just regular DTS.
    3) I read somewhere that DTS-HD includes "core audio", and the -HD bit is like an addon on top. If so, why did MakeMKV feel the need to include the regular DTS, when players that can't play DTS-HD could have just used the core stream? Am I right about all this?

Unrelated questions
    4) On handbrake there are a few different passthrough options. I presume the way it works is that if you start with a DTS-HD stream, you use DTS-HD passthrough - it all depends on the source. So what would be wrong with using AC3 passthrough for something that has a DTS-HD source?

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Never had a chance to use any of the tools you have mentioned. Very long back I came through mkv muxer-demuxer cli from either chinese, japanese or russian website which was capable of mux-demux any valid streams into valid MKV container with proper meta-tags. As years over years passed by, I forgot and lost the track of it.
    Quote Quote