VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased a Sanyo 26 inch LCD HDTV, everything seemed okay at first, but it appears that for some reason I'm getting audio sync problems.

I have pretty much everything connected through myDVD Recorder (directv, xbox, fta box), all seem out of sync, even DVD's. The only thing that I've seen in sync are the HDTV broadcasts that I receive using an external antenna.

The DVD recorder has 2 outputs RCA/S-video outputs, I've tried through both S-video and RCA, it doesn't seem to make a difference which I use, the audio sync problem remains.

One thing I tried doing was using the secondary output from my dvd recorder and connecting it to my computer, no sync errors.

Any clues as to what might be going on here? Could it be the RCA cables I'm using for audio? should I purchase a pair of component (RGB) cables and try that?

Is it just a problem with Sanyo HDTV's?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you see the same issues with any/all of the devices connected directly to your TV? Most likely not. I expect your DVD recorder is causing the delay. There may be some sort of buffer used for recording or because of video processing.

For example, if you have a digital input into the DVD recorder. The DVD recorder is converting the digital signal to analog for output over s-video or RCA. Your TV is then converting the analog signal back into digital and adjusting the resolution for display. There is no such delay in the audio path.

Some TV's have an audio delay adjustment to help compensate for this issue. You could also use a digital input into you TV instead of analog.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lumis

One thing I tried doing was using the secondary output from my dvd recorder and connecting it to my computer, no sync errors.

Any clues as to what might be going on here? Could it be the RCA cables I'm using for audio? should I purchase a pair of component (RGB) cables and try that?

Is it just a problem with Sanyo HDTV's?

Digital video processing creates frames of video delay. Audio needs to pass through the same path as video to receive the proper amount of delay. Most devices will delay the audio to match the video path. This can get tricky when daisy chaining devices.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Second that If I take the audio off of my DVD recorder's outputs and listen to that along with the TV sets audio there is a perceptible delay. in the one from the dvd recorder.

I'm not familiar with your TV, however as a troubleshooting process can you hook up directly to the TV and see if the audio sync issues go away? It sounds to me as if you have a defective or poorly designed DVD recorder.

Maybe if you post the brand and model someone can help.

It seems as if you are using the DVD recorder as a A/V switch. Does your TV have enough inputs to avoid that?

I have my HD DVR hooked up via HDMI and my Pioneer DVD recorder hooked up via component and the audio comes from a A/V switcher/receiver. No sync problems
    Quote Quote