VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I've converted VHS to MP4 (using dvdshrink & handbrake) files for play on BR player. Many of the files over 1gb either don't play correctly or are not recognized by PC or BR player. The smallest MP4 is just over 2gb and plays BR player but when I fast forward I lose sound after 36 seconds. I have tried different BR players as well as NTFS/FAT/exFat.

For kicks I made a MP4 that was 990mb and it played just fine. Has anyone else had issues with playing large (some are over 9gb) MP4's on BR player? What would be best way to "shrink" file size? I have handbrake, streamclip among other freewares for editing.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The only sure fire way to get files to play on a BR is to author them to Blu Ray spec. (See "What is/Blu-ray" above.) It sounds as if you've just burned data files to disk which is always hit or miss depending on the capabilities of the specific player. Properly authored, your program can fill the entire capacity of the disk and play back fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your problem is very unusual and is an issue with your model of player. I've owned a few BluRay players and all of them would play a file if they supported the format in general and the audio and video codecs in use. Maybe your workflow is wrong because you shouldn't be using DVDShrink at all to go from VHS to MP4. Maybe you are really doing VHS -> DVD recorder -> rip produced DVDs with DVDShrink -> encode to MP4 with Handbrake

I'm not seeing why you are converting to MP4 anyway. MP4 usually uses AAC audio which BluRay players may not support. This might be your real problem. If you use AC3 audio then it may fix your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by shard View Post
    Many of the files over 1gb either don't play correctly or are not recognized by PC or BR player.
    Given PC's can generally play just about anything it seems like maybe there's a problem with the conversion or muxing.

I know nothing about MP4 (never use it) but I'd try opening a problem MP4 with MKVMergeGUI and resaving it as an MKV. If there's a problem with the MP4, MKVMergeGUI should display a warning/error. Most Bluray players support MKV if they support MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Anyone know what Handbrake's "large file size" check-box actually does..... or whether it'd be relevant?

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb.gif
Views:	609
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	25538
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    From the Handbrake Wiki: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/OutputSettings

•Large File Size
    This enables 64bit support in the MP4 container.

Advantages
    Removes the 4GB file size limitation.
    Encoded files will not be corrupted if they breach the 4GB barrier when this option is selected.

Disadvantages
    Some players do not support 64bit mp4 files.

This option is not currently turned on by default due to possible compatibility issues. This may change in future versions when it is deemed that older devices are less common place.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Your problem is very unusual and is an issue with your model of player. I've owned a few BluRay players and all of them would play a file if they supported the format in general and the audio and video codecs in use. Maybe your workflow is wrong because you shouldn't be using DVDShrink at all to go from VHS to MP4. Maybe you are really doing VHS -> DVD recorder -> rip produced DVDs with DVDShrink -> encode to MP4 with Handbrake

I'm not seeing why you are converting to MP4 anyway. MP4 usually uses AAC audio which BluRay players may not support. This might be your real problem. If you use AC3 audio then it may fix your problem.
    Thanks for the replies!

You are correct, I burn the DVD's with vhs/dvd combo unit. I took DVD's and ripped them into VOB files and then put them through handbrake to MP4's. Now I have several MP4's per vhs tape and wanted to put them together into a single MP4 file to play directly from portable hard drive to blue-ray player. Perhaps MP4 isn't best container. Is there a better workflow that I should be using? Right now I'm going DVD through handbrake to mkv, so I'll let you know how that goes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shard View Post

Thanks for the replies!

You are correct, I burn the DVD's with vhs/dvd combo unit. I took DVD's and ripped them into VOB files and then put them through handbrake to MP4's. Now I have several MP4's per vhs tape and wanted to put them together into a single MP4 file to play directly from portable hard drive to blue-ray player. Perhaps MP4 isn't best container. Is there a better workflow that I should be using? Right now I'm going DVD through handbrake to mkv, so I'll let you know how that goes.
    Check the Blu-Ray player's manual to be sure, but most likely it supports using DVD-compatible video and audio in an mpg container. The files are larger, but DVD-compatible video and audio is easier to edit and join, the time-consuming step of converting to H.264 will be eliminated, and the original quality of your recordings will be preserved.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!