VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.
    I'm sure somewhere I could find the answer to my problems in other threads, but I am loosing my mind over this, and I think my brain is about to explode! I can't take any more wandering around threads!!! It's two days in a row that i download programs and try do what they say it must be done in order to add my subtitles to my dvd, but all i get is error messages and programs that don't recognize the files!
    So, this is the picture.
    I have my DVD-r (a vhs-rip i did myself). I have the subtitles ready in SRT format, done with Subtitle Workshop. The subtitles work, I tried converting the DVD to Divx and add the subtitles, and everything works fine.
    Now I wish to just take the audio/video of the DVD, leave it untouched and just add the subtitles.
    It seems like a simple task but it has turned into a nightmare!
    The progams i have at the moment are: DVD-Decrypter, DVDFab, Muxman, PGCDemux, and for the subtitle part, as i said i usually use Subtitle Workshop...I tried Subtitle Creator but it never worked for me...
    By the way...i tried converting my srt file to sup (to use then with Muxman), but so far either it didn't convert at all or the converted file were not recognized my Muxman...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaccastracca View Post
    Now I wish to just take the audio/video of the DVD, leave it untouched and just add the subtitles.
    In other words, you want "soft subtitles" (edit: soft of course^^), meaning they are overlaid over the video during playback (can be turned on and off also) and no re-encoding of the video part is necessary.

Originally Posted by vaccastracca View Post
    It seems like a simple task but it has turned into a nightmare!
    It's indeed not very easy to do.

I could probably write ten or more paragraphs on how to do it, and it's still not easy to comprehend. There are several ways, of course, and it also depends on the authoring software you use (Muxman is what you will be using, right?).
    Since I need to do this often I have automated this process for the most part using BAT scripts... So what do you think about me offering you to convert your srt to SUP for muxing with Muxman? Write me a PM if you are interested. I would also need to know if the video is anamorphic 16:9 or 4:3 (being a VHS conversion it's probably 4:3) and if there is Letterboxing (this is important so that the subtitles can be placed appropriately on the screen).
    Last edited by Skiller; 14th Dec 2014 at 08:37.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Skiller, and thank you very much for your prompt reply!
    In the meantime I've found a guide in italian (I'm italian) which seems simple, clear and step-by-step (and it's a translation from a Videohelp thread anyway!)
    I'm giving it a try.
    In case of problems, I'll resume my thread here!
    Thank you again in any case!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have trouble with Muxman or have difficulty converting your subtitles, I suggest that your try AVStoDVD. I cannot remember if there is an option to install an Italian language version, but the author, _MrC_, lives in Italy. It can convert SRT subtitles to DVD SUP format and author a DVD (with a simple menu or no menu) from DVD-compatible sources without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks also to you, usually_quiet!
    I just finished doing the dvd a few minutes ago with that tutorial i've found, and it worked!
    But in case i have to do another job I'll sure give a try to the program you mentioned, which seems much simpler than the way i performed!
    Thanks to everybody for the help!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!