VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have an mpeg video and the audio is a separate file in lpcm format. can anyone tell me how to join these into an mpeg1 format so i can burn it onto disc? every time i open the audio mediaplayer goes onto the net to download a codec before it plays it. thanx in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your making anything besides a dvd you can't put your audio on the disc in lpcm format, it has to be mpeg-1 audio layer 2 (.mp2 usually). The easiest way to convert it is using tmpg.

Just select your audio source. Press the load button and load a "VideoCD" template (NTSC or PAL it doesn't matter) then press load again choose the unlock.mcf template which should be in the Extra folder. Then under stream type choose audio only then hit start.

To get the audio and video together use tmpg again but go to file-->MPEG Tools and then click on the tab simple-multiplex. Choose your video, audio, and output. Also, in the type choose mpeg-1 Video-CD if you know your video and audio are standard for vcd and if you think they aren't choose mpeg-1 video-CD (non standard) and then you should have a .mpg to burn.

As for the codec, media player should be able to play it, but try letting media player download the codec (it should do it automatically) if your having problems converting it with tmpg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    LPCM = "Linear PulseCode Modulation", Linear being uncompressed, e.g. Std WAVE file. As such, there is NO need for a "codec". Remember, CODEC = "COMPRESSOR/DECOMPRESSOR.
    I really don't think it actually needs a "codec", just that it doesn't recognize what it's got until it does a search w/ the M$ internet database.

In answer to your Q about muxing in MPEG1, I have been testing this alot lately and AFAIK there is no way to mux mpg video with lpcm audio. In MPEG2, the standard ways also do not allow for such muxing, but, obviously, they DO for DVD vob muxing. Of course, the more straightforward and approved way to do this is just to author to a DVD.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. cornucopia, thanx for the advice. i followed it and it worked just fine thanx again
    Quote Quote