VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Can any of you recommend a method / software / filter for intelligently optimising audio levels during playback of all / most media files?
    I'm wanting to achieve dynamic range reduction / level optimisation, where low levels get raised/expanded and high levels get compressed.
    I've seen some advice on software for encoding / converting files, but none as yet for 'on the fly' playback.

I use Windows XP and have tried some methods and many settings, including for example, using Media Player Classic/VLC with Directshow filters such as ffdshow, but I find both/either the player's or filters' 'normalisation' to result in unappealing output. My objections may be subtle, but I don't like how some levels get 'swallowed' apparently excessively.

My 'aim' is to be able to play any/most video or audio file so that the audio levels and dynamic range across them all are essentially the same, without noticing any unpleasant results where 'normalisation' hasn't really worked.
    I don't have a great understanding of media decoding, but typically, most media files I play are XVID or DivX avi or mpeg with MP3 audio, some others too.

Ideally, free solutions of course, but I would pay for an excellent quality solution.

Thanks for any experienced advice,
    Lee in England
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lovely idea, quite difficult to do in realtime. I agree, the Normalization functions in both VLC and MediaPlayerClassic leave something to be desired.

I put together a workaround for Divx/Xvid files with MP3 audio

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic314909.html

But that isn't going to help you with DVDs with AC3 audio. AC3filter is a directshow decoder that will do Dynamic Range Reduction, however:

https://www.videohelp.com/toolsimages/ac3_filter_186.jpg

My "dream" setup would be a VST audio plugin that provides Limiting (extreme dynamic range compression).

Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot, Soopafresh

I'll look into your workaround and give it a go.
    I've already tried the AC3 Filter with some pleasing results; I may give it another go whilst being careful not to mess the results up with other 'normalisers' also being switched on.

Lee
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh or anyone else interested,

Just to add I'm just trying kmplayer which has audio compressor and normalizer functions.
    Simply turning them on and just using the player's automatic built in codecs, this seems to be giving me the results I'm looking for. So far anyway ... !

I haven't yet found if these audio functions can be adjusted, but to be honest I'm always wary anyway of pretending to understand many user adjustments in media players.

Maybe try kmplayer and have a listen if you haven't yet, and see what you think.

Lee
    Quote Quote