VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently using the MSDenoise filter in virtualdub, I don't care about speed, I care about end result. I would like to know what you use, have used, what kind of results your getting. Whats best for a given situation, such as low bitrate videos? I'm not interested in restoring VHS tape, only x264/xvid etc.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Not sure what you're saying here. If you're not interested in restoring a VHS source to cleaner output (that's what restoration is), why are you denoising?

x264/Xvid? Those are two very different codecs., with very different quality levels depending on how they're used. "x264" isn't a codec, either, it's one of several h264 encoders. Why XVid?

MSDenoise: I think you mean MSU Denoiser. MSU's filters are trash. What kind of noise? What kind of artifacts? Without more detail it's impossible to advise.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Not sure what you're saying here. If you're not interested in restoring a VHS source to cleaner output (that's what restoration is), why are you denoising?
    I think he's saying he's working with downloaded XviDs and videos using the x264 codec.

And my answer is that if you want the 'best' denoisers, then forget about VDub filtering and use the way better AviSynth ones.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, don't know where that reference to VHS came from. Lossy encoded video isn't that easy to clean up. I use VirtualDub for touchup and complicated color work, but for stuff like low-bitrate compression artifacts (common with XVid and sloppy h264 encodes), block noise, banding, spots, rainbows, chroma bleed, etc., etc., etc., like manono says VirtualDub is too limited. If the sources are noisy YewTube downloads or something similar, VirtualDub ain't a good choice.

Anyway, can't tell you what to use without a short sample of unprocessed original video. If you don't know how to make a sample we can help but you have to give us more info about the video source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a very small sample, it was shot on a cell phone, very low quality, the girl died and I'd like to clean this up a bit. I'm not married to vdub but I don't know the command line for avisynth at all.

http://files.videohelp.com/u/84671/priceless.mp4
    Last edited by sum_guy; 1st Jul 2015 at 16:34.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Oh my, that's really sad news.

Anyway, thank you for the sample. Given the size, quality, and other problems, VirtualDub isn't a solution. There's only so much one can do here, but Avisynth is likely your only choice. Learning curve involved. Now's the time to ask if you're up for that. Can tell us how the sample was made? What software, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'm an old dog but I'm willing to learn new tricks, there's no rush to process this video, I'll see what I can glean about Avisynth on here. Appreciate your responses. I only know it was shot on a Blackberry phone and I don't know anymore than that.
    Last edited by sum_guy; 1st Jul 2015 at 16:45.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    I only know it was shot on a Blackberry phone and I don't know anymore than that.
    Thanks again, but what I mean is: what software did you use to cut this short sample?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    Well, I'm an old dog but I'm willing to learn new tricks, there's no rush to process this video, I'll see what I can glean about Avisynth on here. Appreciate your responses. I only know it was shot on a Blackberry phone and I don't know anymore than that.
    I have upgraded many old cell phone videos and similar low-res, low-bitrate, low framerate videos. AVISynth is really the only tool I know of that is equipped to deal with the multiple problems you face.

Here is a link to a thread I started four years ago when I wanted to take a 190x120 very early digital video (circa 1992) of a performance by the late Geoffrey Lewis, and make it reasonably pleasant to watch. I provided a link to a snippet of the original video.

Ideas for restoring early generation (really old) digital video

I got some really useful advice, some of which you may be able to use.

I then uploaded the results of the entire performance to YouTube, which you can view here:

Celestial Navigations: Horses (Storytelling At Its Best)

For my clip, the biggest issue wasn't just the blockiness and grain, but the ridiculously low 12 fps frame rate. The motion interpolation I used does give it a little bit of a "squishy" feel as motion morphs rather than moves, but that is unavoidable when upgrading frame rate from 12 fps, which is only made worse by having almost no pixels to define the picture. You should be able to achieve better results. You also will probably want to adjust the gamma and color.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Thanks again, but what I mean is: what software did you use to cut this short sample?"

The sample was cut with Avidemux

Johnmeyer, Thanks, I'll take a look
    Quote Quote