VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    There are plenty of DVD players that can upscale standard DVDs to 1080p. Is there any software that will rip a standard DVD to the computer and also upscale it to 1080p at the same time?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No.

Upscaling hardware and the HDTVs themselves contain various hardware filters that make the image look good on the TV. If you try to do it in software it will take a long time to re-encode and you probably won't be impressed with the results.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not to mention that up-scaling it to 1080p will make it a much larger file.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sldvd View Post
    There are plenty of DVD players that can upscale standard DVDs to 1080p. Is there any software that will rip a standard DVD to the computer and also upscale it to 1080p at the same time?
    Why do you want to do that? Just so you can fill a Blu-Ray disk with standard def?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Up-scaling will increase deterioration in quality to some degree ... it depends on the encoder and filters applied.

And as for the other ... YES, there are quite a few applications capable of doing this but it will take time.

1: Aimersoft dvd ripper works well enough

====

As for the final results ... this is why you run test samples before committing to a whole dvd conversion ... pre-testing filters to gain acceptable results.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any HDTV or DXVA display card will deinterlace/upscale in hardware real time. Any display card will upscale to native resolution ("full screen"). An equivalent software upscale would take hours, or up to days if deinterlace is required. The resulting file will be huge.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote