VideoHelp Forum

Poll: TY vs Verbatim branded vs Verbatim DataLifePlus

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please vote for a poll. I didn't think of doing it this way when I created my other thread, but I would like to see what brand gets more results in a poll, even though I am thinking I would get more poll results than I am getting for replies which is fine cuz I want to see what brand people buy the most.
    Quote Quote  
  2. None of the above. My brand was listed but not the specifics.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    None of the above. My brand was listed but not the specifics.
    100 pack Verbatim branded
    Yep, that is not very specific.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319565-Verbatim-Life-Series-DataLifePlus?p=1983041&...=1#post1983041

White package in retail stores not good, purple package with AZO on package good.

I always buy mine from newegg and always get the good ones.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    None of the above. My brand was listed but not the specifics.
    100 pack Verbatim branded
    Yep, that is not very specific.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319565-Verbatim-Life-Series-DataLifePlus?p=1983041&...=1#post1983041

White package in retail stores not good, purple package with AZO on package good.

I always buy mine from newegg and always get the good ones.
    Noahtuck:

These are the good ones, right? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009YJXMS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, as long as they are in that package and have the UPC number 95098 as those are listed you should be golden.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Yep, as long as they are in that package and have the UPC number 95098 as those are listed you should be golden.
    Great! Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of what you listed is good but for Tys I use the much cheaper(cost wise) lacquer finish 8x discs. I like it's slightly tactile bottom which I feel grips better on recorders that have issues with securely gripping the spindle, the downside of the Tys is they are both fingerprint and dust magnets which I really detest. That said my most used discs are Verbatim AZOs which I use by the 100 spindle. Of course the Dataplus Verbs are great too but due to cost my day in day out discs are the regular AZO Verbatims in 100 spindle which I can occasionally find for ~$20 shipped and no tax from Amazon.
    Avoid the 100 spindles of the cheaper Verbatim "Life" series which are basically Memorex(CMC) landfill grade media with the Verbatim brand on them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you get them for $20 without tax from Amazon? Im looking for the DVD+R not DVD-R, and I believe its $24.47 + tax + $7.99 shipping and it comes out closer near $35 maybe a little under. So, how are you getting them for $20?

Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
    All of what you listed is good but for Tys I use the much cheaper(cost wise) lacquer finish 8x discs. I like it's slightly tactile bottom which I feel grips better on recorders that have issues with securely gripping the spindle. That said my most used discs are Verbatim AZOs which I use by the 100 spindle. Of course the Dataplus Verbs are great too but due to cost my day in day out discs are the regular AZO Verbatims in 100 spindle which I can occasionally find for ~$20 shipped and no tax from Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    occasionally=on sale
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    occasionally=on sale
    OK, I understand now.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it's not the norm but several times/year I stock up when they hit the $20 price point. Amazon doesn't charge shipping when you order over $35(which equals 2 spindles) so I stock up then. I'm sitting with probably 1000 Verbatims and the last time they had them for $20 I reluctantly passed as I'm kind of busting at the seams.
    Amazon has rather volital pricing, one day it may be $25/spindle and the next it could drop to $20 and within hours it could be back to $25! I don't really understand it but it pays to bookmark things and check frequently. I also monitor a thread on AVS called "media deals this week" where people post when there is a major price drop, especially with better media like Verbatim. I mainly purchase -R but I notice the +R drops to the $20 PP also, maybe not as often.
    Most standalone DVDRs burn -R just as well as +R but many(including Panasonics that I use) really prefer -R and tend to burn quirky when using +R discs. Funai made recorders are more native to +R but again seem to burn -R just fine too.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some of Amazon's pricing is that if they see you looking at something several times but you don't buy it, they may drop the price to see if they can entice you to buy it. That doesn't always happen but sometimes they do that. There are other factors that influence the price you get including if you come from a new IP address they haven't seen before, like maybe you use a work computer to go there but before you've always been at home and used a personal computer to access the website.

For those who like to print to discs, NOTHING beats the label quality of Taiyo Yuden's Watershield line of discs. These are only available in DVD-R format for DVDs, if that is important to any of you. They also have Watershield for CD-R, but there's no +/- variants in CD-R like there is in consumer burnable DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @jman98,

What is your personal choice for blank DVD+R but not using labels or anything but instead using a Sharpie?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My handwriting (used to be, and will be again) just fine. I had comic book style writing.
    I always labeled with extra fine Sharpie.

For the discs, MCC is better than TY -- assuming 16x media. (YUDEN 8x was better than MCC.)

Branded and inkjet surface are fine for burning.
    For labeling, the branded works better with sharpie. The Sharpie ink drains faster than you can write for inkjet, leaving writing streaky.

See also http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/blank-media.htm
    .. but I'll be updating that in the near future. It's on my to-do list (and has been for a while now). It was planned for early 2013 when my $hit hit the fan.

I only use Verbatim for DVD, both +R and -R.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 27th Apr 2014 at 22:47.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.rima.com/prod/1856.html

Would they be considered the best media by most on here and better than both Verbatim AZO and TY? These will not at all be used for any kind of Inkjet or any printer. It will be used for regular burning and using Sharpies to label the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ones you linked in post 4 would be better for writing with a Sharpie, as LS said the inkjet printable discs tend to really suck your Sharpie dry in a hurry, Datalife + are great discs but I wouldn't get the inkjet printables for using with a sharpie.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rocky12 View Post
    @jman98,

What is your personal choice for blank DVD+R but not using labels or anything but instead using a Sharpie?
    Sorry for not replying sooner.

For that I buy Verbatim DataLifePlus Shiny Silver, either DVD-R or DVD+R. Sometimes I buy whichever format is cheaper. Sometimes I just feel more like one format than the other for some random reason that may change the next time I buy. These discs have always been made in Taiwan by one of Verbatim's most respected plants (the plant in Singapore is also very highly thought of).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its fine. I understand.

Thank you so much for the great information and your help and everyone else as well!

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    @jman98,

Sorry for not replying sooner.

For that I buy Verbatim DataLifePlus Shiny Silver, either DVD-R or DVD+R. Sometimes I buy whichever format is cheaper. Sometimes I just feel more like one format than the other for some random reason that may change the next time I buy. These discs have always been made in Taiwan by one of Verbatim's most respected plants (the plant in Singapore is also very highly thought of).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Would they be considered the best media by most on here and better than both Verbatim AZO and TY? These will not at all be used for any kind of Inkjet or any printer. It will be used for regular burning and using Sharpies to label the DVD.
    Verbatim 8x media is not as mature as 16x media.
    8x media would always scan worse. Most 8x media from anybody was like this.
    4x was best, and 16x is second best.
    Only TY really had impressive 8x media.

That said, I get 8x Verbatim when it's on sale cheap. It's still better than average.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Verbatim 8x media is not as mature as 16x media.
    8x media would always scan worse. Most 8x media from anybody was like this.
    4x was best, and 16x is second best.
    Only TY really had impressive 8x media.

That said, I get 8x Verbatim when it's on sale cheap. It's still better than average.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008BNV6GU/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1398716387&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

I could find 16x Shiny Silver in DVD-R not DVD+R. I only see 8x in DVD+R.

I checked RIMA but not in DVD-R, but Shiny Silver 50 pack in DVD+R only 8x media.

I checked SuperMediaStore, and Shiny Silver DVD+R are 8x media. I did not check for DVD-R.

On Amazon, I checked both because DVD+R in my search also return DVD-R, but 8x media Shiny Silver for DVD+R. However, Shiny Silver for DVD-R they have 16x media.

Are Shiny Silver DataLifePlus DVD+R is not available in 16x media, but DVD-R is only available in 16x media?

Anyone could reply regardless I am quoting his reply above.
    Last edited by rocky12; 28th Apr 2014 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!