VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone,

I have the full set of Spongebob DVD's from season 1 to 7. My young children watch them EVERY day, and unfortunately one of the DVD's is now unreadable due to months of daily use. In order to protect the remaining DVD's, I want to rip them to MP4, then the kids can watch them using the smart TV. I purchased WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, which spat out a nice ISO file, then I used Handbrake to read the ISO and split the chapters in to individual files.

Unfortunately, this is not working as I had hoped! Rather than getting 1 file per episode, I'm getting several files per episode, all out of order, and varying in length from 11 minutes down to just a few seconds. Does anyone have a better method I can use that will likely produce the "1 file per episode" output I am looking for?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    First, understand that "rip" means to make an exact decrypted copy, not to convert containers or getting quality loss by re-encoding with another codec.

Isn't your smartTV smart enough to play MPEG?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Split the chapters in to individual files?

But you could try Vidcoder. And see if it splits by episodes instead.

If still problem then try another ripper. Like AnyDVD. It can rip to ISO or a DVD Folder or used as a background ripper.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'd do it differently. First, I wouldn't spend a dime on whatever it is you used. Second, I'd decrypt the DVD files using DVDFab HD Decrypter (IFO, BUP, VOB, and not ISO). Third, splitting by chapter isn't splitting by episode. Each episode will contain multiple chapters. I'd use PGCDemux to extract the episodes. If each episode has its own PGC (title), then extract by PGC. Save VOBs and not the separate video, audio, subs and chapters. If there are multiple episodes within the single PGC, I'd separate them by VOB ID.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most times VidCoder can split by episode after you scan the DVD. It may show the first entry of all the videos as one file.
    Then usually below that are the list of the individual videos. Many anime series are that way.
    I just select each episode in turn so I know I'm getting them all and re-encode them as a batch. You can also name/rename them then.

The method is fastest for me for a good quality video file that works well on my playback system.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Spongebob DVDs are weird. I ripped all mine (up to season 5) and reconstructed the episodes as they aired on TV. The typical Spongebob DVD was constructed like this:

Opening song
    cartoon-1
    cartoon-2
    cartoon-3
    ... etc...
    Massive closing credits for all the cartoons on the disc.

Reconstructing the closing credits was quite an exercise. Ripping the disc was easy using DVD Decrpyter in IFO mode. Usually, I could rip each cartoon by selecting the IFO, but occasionally I had to rip a large IFO file and select only one chapter out of it to get the episode I wanted.

Darryl
    Quote Quote