VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I've taken some files from my harddrive dvd player (Ellion) and used Nero digital to recode them as mp4. My Ellion manual says that I can copy files from an "mp4 disc" to the hdd. I took this as meaning mp4 files on a data dvd. So, when I made a data disc with mp4 files, I thought they should be picked up by the player, but not so. A friend of mine recently gave me a disc with avi files on it, and they can be read (but not copied to hdd).

According to Nero, when you use Recode, the resulting output is mpeg-4 files, and sure enough they have the mp4 file extension. Should I try using divx (or similar) instead? Is there an inherent glitch in using Nero Recode?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After reading your post, I remembered this post from yesterday: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic350164.html

Which seems to indicate the mp4 container can use various formats. It is then likely, as in the post above, that your player doesn't support all mp4 files. Which is typical of standalone players, there are too many various encoding options to support them all.

I would suggest checking the working and non-working files and seeing what is different.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for that. Is there a concensus out there that some of the formats, within the mp4 container, are more reliable than others? Would, say, divx be recommended over XviD?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quality aside, none will be more "reliable" than another. It's all a matter of using the format which meets your needs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote