VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Deceased
    Search PM
    Recently, this thread in the Video Streaming section of the forum was closed/locked.

The thread contains a question about saving/downloading the video content at the following url;
    Code:
    http://www.cmt.com/videos/dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-101/1704305/full-episode.jhtml
    The reason given for closing the thread is;

"Please do not ask for help on downloading copyright files from a streaming service,it's against the law and forum rules,this thread is closed."

I'm not sure what the reference to "copyright files" means. Perhaps he meant to say "copyrighted files", but probably most video is covered my some sort of copyright - so he probably doesn't mean that. Perhaps he really meant subscription content, but this content is public content - not subscription content.

Or, maybe he didn't like the reference from the OP about using a proxy from the UK. But again, quite a lot of public video content on the web still uses some sort of geo-restriction.

So, in summary, the thread contains a question about public non-subscription video content. To my layman's eye, a question about downloading this content violates neither the law nor the forum rules - but of course I could be wrong. If this sort of standard was universally applied to this sort of content in a consistent manner, over 80% of the existing threads in the Video Streaming forum should be closed and locked too.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The person is asking how to download videos from a streaming service which has a readme that says it's against their policy to d/l from their site,as to copyright vs copyrighted that's nitpicking.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is it a rental/payed service? If not then it's okey to discuss how to record what you see.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This it is their readme which say users can not d/l from their site.
    http://www.cmt.com/interact/terms/
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't most streaming site has such terms?

As long as you download for personal use I think it's okey to discuss.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Deceased
    Search PM
    Well, just now is the first time I actually read the "terms of service" for a big corporate conglomerate's website.

You're right, it is in those terms. As is almost everything, including the kitchen sink. After reading those terms, I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to use my own kitchen sink anymore. They paid their lawyers for a lot of language, that is for sure.

You also give up your right to sue them and commit to binding arbitration over any dispute about those terms. Which is impossible for them to have because you also commit to them doing unilateral modification to those terms at any time and the only notice you get is new terms on the website.

So, I withdraw my question about the closed thread, but reiterate that you'll probably have to close most of the others.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unlocking the thread. Only rental/subscription content is not okey to discuss.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a related question. I have run into one or two websites for which access to videos requires providing proof that I subscribe to a cable service which includes the channel which airs that TV show as part of my subscription. (I must choose my cable service provider from a list, and enter the username and password for my account with that cable service provider.)

This kind of restricted access may be a trend. In case it comes up in the future, since the content is not public, is asking for help downloading it considered a warez rule violation?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Can I assume that these 'one or two websites' are actually part of the cable service since providing your USN/PWD to an un-connected party would seem somewhat scary.

Doesn't the rules actually cover streaming television anyway ?

Mind you the whole streaming advice issue is a mine field. It would take only one provider to take umbridge at the softest target in their sights - not the actual downloader/uploader but - a forum that gave out such advice and we could all be looking at blank monitor screens.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    ^^ Can I assume that these 'one or two websites' are actually part of the cable service since providing your USN/PWD to an un-connected party would seem somewhat scary.
    At least one of the cable channels (SyFy) that operate their website this way is owned by the same parent company as my cable service provider. However none of the other service providers in the list are affiliated with SyFy, except that they buy programming from them. I suspect these websites use the cable service provider's online infrastructure to supply the video.

[Edit]This is the link to the login page: http://www.syfy.com/now/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Nov 2014 at 14:44.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blimey View Post
    I'm not sure what the reference to "copyright files" means. Perhaps he meant to say "copyrighted files", but probably most video is covered my some sort of copyright - so he probably doesn't mean that.
    It's not to my credit, I admit, that I'm probably the biggest grammar Nazi of everybody here, but even I wouldn't have brought up that one. Geez.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IANAL, but look at it this way:
    You cannot get these clips without providing info regarding your exisiting (cable/sat/IPTV) subscription service. By extension this could be considered an adjunct to a subscription service (kind of a "value-added" feature of having that subscription). Therefore, I think you/we are on thin ice here and this should be nipped in the bud.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!