VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I've been using this machine for about 2 years and love it. Primary use is small business converting assorted old tapes to DVD. I find it very efficient to record to HDD where I'm able to "clean/edit" before (high speed) burning to disc and then finalize.

HOWEVER it seems that when discs are played back on other systems (DVD players & Apple computers), DVD starts playing video instead of starting at menu. I can get to the menu using the "menu" button but that's hardly the point.
    Also the discs don't seem to like WMPlayer. I use Verbatim DVD-R's.

Question 1: Why discs don't default to disc menu?
    Question 2: Why WMPlayer problems.
    Question 3: What would be a good replacement machine?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well if the menu is there(on the disc) then the machine is not "broken" is it? Granted that would be annoying if you are really relying on the menu but to replace a good machine just for that is a bit silly IMO. Have you checked the recorder's own menu options to see if there are disc menu options? Back in the early days of DVD recorders many of us used RW discs and removed the recorder's menu on a computer because they were a bit cheesy looking....but I DO understand that many people want or need them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On my newer Panasonic DVD Recorders there is an option to select "Start Playback With" either "First Rec." or "Top Menu"
    This option appears in the menu page that also confirms the "Finalize" disc, you select your choice before finalization.
    You may have a similar set up on your Pioneer.

Personally, I prefer the playback to start with the first recording rather than the menu page. The majority of my DVD burns are music videos and concerts, and I like to get right to the action! Don't like looking at the (sometimes) ugly menu page right off the bat. I can always then go to the menu to select another program title.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. All Pioneers do this and no way to change it, just something about the design of the machine.
    2. I Don't use WMplayer so others will have to help.
    3. Panasonics have the option for a top menu off the bat(it's what I use all the time) Mikey Man gave a good explanation of how to use it. If you don't need a tuner(line input recording only) then a international Panasonic w/HDD may be a good option for you. I have a EH-59 that works great, the EH-69 has a larger HDD and a few more options. They are available from places like WorldImport.com/B&H Photo or J&R out of NY. Floor models start just North of $250 and new ones are South of $450. Here's a link to a thread and internationals are listed near the top.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909
    Quote Quote