VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using REDO V 4 to translate *.Tivo files. MY Q IS...what is the BEST file type to change them to; after using Video Redo I use NERO 12 to make a DVD or Blu Ray of the actual files. I am SURE there is an **optimum file type** everybody likes to use. I don't like the poke and hope technique ;-0
    Last edited by kctobyjoe2012; 13th Mar 2014 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kctobyjoe2012 View Post
    Using REDO V 4 to translate *.Tivo files. MY Q IS...what is the BEST file type to change them to; after using Video Redo I use NERO 12 to make a DVD or Blu Ray of the actual files. I am SURE there is an **optimum file type** everybody likes to use. I don't like poke and hope ;-0
    US digital cable and over-the-air TV is MPEG-2 video and AC3 audio, so I would export to .mpg. The .mpg container will usually work for most Blu-Ray players that play media files from DVDs or BD-R discs, but you need to check your player's manual to find out for certain if it supports .mpg files and what type of audio is allowed.

If you are authoring a DVD video or Blu-Ray disc from the .mpg, it may require re-encoding for compliance with either the DVD or Blu-Ray standard, but it is best to let some other program do the conversion.

Edit your post to remove the email address unless you like deleting spam.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Mar 2014 at 15:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. YES THANK YOU; am re-authoring I suppose (am making the files into a DVD or Blu-ray compliant disc)and mpg is the 'most native' then mpg it will be...it is kind of surprising how many choices NERO has to change a TiVo file into...some I recognize some not so much

Thanks again

kctobyjoe
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by kctobyjoe2012 View Post
    Using REDO V 4 to translate *.Tivo files. MY Q IS...what is the BEST file type to change them to; after using Video Redo I use NERO 12 to make a DVD or Blu Ray of the actual files. I am SURE there is an **optimum file type** everybody likes to use. I don't like the poke and hope technique ;-0
    yes, use Video Redo to output to a dvd compliant mpeg2 program stream (pal or ntsc depending where you live) and then use Video Redo to author your mpeg2 file to dvd and burn to disc, it does have these feature built in you know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Originally Posted by kctobyjoe2012 View Post
    Using REDO V 4 to translate *.Tivo files. MY Q IS...what is the BEST file type to change them to; after using Video Redo I use NERO 12 to make a DVD or Blu Ray of the actual files. I am SURE there is an **optimum file type** everybody likes to use. I don't like the poke and hope technique ;-0
    yes, use Video Redo to output to a dvd compliant mpeg2 program stream (pal or ntsc depending where you live) and then use Video Redo to author your mpeg2 file to dvd and burn to disc, it does have these feature built in you know.
    I haven't tried VideoReDo for authoring DVDs since I don't happen to have one of the TVSuite products, but I have seen some posts that said its DVD authoring feature left something to be desired.

MPEG-2 streams from US DTV are frequently not DVD compliant. HDTV is obviously the wrong resolution, but the digital SD channels often use overly long GOPs. I use AVStoDVD to convert DTV captures for DVD compatibility, and it does a great job using HCEnc as the encoder. I don't author Blu-Ray discs because I can play media files from BD-Rs as can family members with Blu-Ray players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I haven't tried VideoReDo for authoring DVDs since I don't happen to have one of the TVSuite products, but I have seen some posts that said its DVD authoring feature left something to be desired.
    i guess it all depends on what features you are looking for with your authoring, but there is nothing wrong with it, it authors just like other authoring software does, and VRD is the best program at converting other formats to dvd compliant mpeg2 streams, you then import that for authoring to dvd.

i have just finished testing mpeg2 conversions using several applications, my source file was a short 1080/50p m2ts file from my camera, and VRD did the conversion better overall.

its one thing to say negative things about software based on what others say, but its another thing to avoid using it based on those very same comments.

to know how it works, you must try it yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    i guess it all depends on what features you are looking for with your authoring, but there is nothing wrong with it, it authors just like other authoring software does, and VRD is the best program at converting other formats to dvd compliant mpeg2 streams, you then import that for authoring to dvd.

i have just finished testing mpeg2 conversions using several applications, my source file was a short 1080/50p m2ts file from my camera, and VRD did the conversion better overall.

its one thing to say negative things about software based on what others say, but its another thing to avoid using it based on those very same comments.

to know how it works, you must try it yourself.
    I have VideoReDo Plus and use it frequently. The additional features in the TVSuite products didn't seem necessary to me since I was not working with H.264 video, and I already had good DVD authoring software and encoders installed. Don't get me wrong, VRD is the only program I ever recommend for editing captured DTV streams, but that does not mean that there are no better encoders than the ones that it uses and no better DVD authoring software available.

Since HCEnc is generally regarded as one of the best MPEG-2 encoders available, paid or free, it is unlikely that the MPEG-2 encoder included with VideoReDo would be better. Faster, maybe but faster encoders always sacrifice a little quality for more speed. I have at times seen some artifacts in frames re-encoded around cuts in video I edited with VideoReDo that were not present in the original video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Since HCEnc is generally regarded as one of the best MPEG-2 encoders available, paid or free, it is unlikely that the MPEG-2 encoder included with VideoReDo would be better.
    VRD uses Rovi encoder, so rate it according to your taste
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    Since HCEnc is generally regarded as one of the best MPEG-2 encoders available, paid or free, it is unlikely that the MPEG-2 encoder included with VideoReDo would be better.
    ...which would be better known as MainConcept. The MainConcept Reference MPEG-2 product is always listed among the top MPEG-2 encoders, but if I recall correctly, the MPEG-2 encoders Rovi licenses for use with third-party software are not in the same class.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Note, make sure that you're transferring the files from the Tivo as MPEG and not TS files; Videoredo will convert TS to MPEG, but I frequently find there's a slight degredation in picture quality and some pixillation when I do that
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by noemi7 View Post
    hi, MainConcept is apparently a subsidiary of Rovi Corporation, but i never heard of Rovi before, let alone them providing the mpeg2 encoder for VRD.

i have put this to the developers of VRD to seek clarification, because i thought VRD used Mainconcept.

i love the mpeg2 outputs from VRD, especially the ones i have done using my camera's 1080/50p m2ts files as the source files, and i also like the mpeg2 files from TMPGEnc mastering works as well.

also, as some may suggest that there are better mpeg2 encoders out there, software like VRD and Mastering Works 5 do offer consumers more than just encoding, and does it pretty well in my opinion, however i do not generally convert my HD video to dvd very often for clients, so i will continue to use VRD, because it is brilliant for all my other clients HD requirements, especially my clients wedding videos.

EDIT:
    has anyone used TotalCode Studio before, it would want to be good for $999, probably should download the trial.
    http://www.mainconcept.com/products/applications/totalcode-studio.html
    Last edited by glenpinn; 26th Mar 2014 at 09:57.
    Quote Quote  
  12. hi again, just for the record, i emailed VRD about its encoders after reading the above comments, and i got the following reply from one of the devs, so i figure you have to work out for yourselves what all this means, just to say that i personally have no issues with VRD with any of its outputs, and i love the fact that it has built in quality presets that will set your output quality for you, or you can manually change the quality or bitrate settings if you want to.

"Rovi bought Mainconcept a few years ago, so Rovi = Mainconcept. For our consumer products we use the HCEnc MPEG2 encoder. We find the quality exceptional especially at lower bit rates. Some of our professional installations use the broadcast version of the Rovi/Mainconcept MPEG2 encoder which is different from their consumer version.
    VideoReDo does use the consumer versions of the Rovi/Mainconcept H.264 codecs.[B]"

i have not used their professional broadcast software so i cant comment on that.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi again, just for the record, i emailed VRD about its encoders after reading the above comments, and i got the following reply from one of the devs, so i figure you have to work out for yourselves what all this means, just to say that i personally have no issues with VRD with any of its outputs, and i love the fact that it has built in quality presets that will set your output quality for you, or you can manually change the quality or bitrate settings if you want to.

"Rovi bought Mainconcept a few years ago, so Rovi = Mainconcept. For our consumer products we use the HCEnc MPEG2 encoder. We find the quality exceptional especially at lower bit rates. Some of our professional installations use the broadcast version of the Rovi/Mainconcept MPEG2 encoder which is different from their consumer version.
    VideoReDo does use the consumer versions of the Rovi/Mainconcept H.264 codecs.[B]"

i have not used their professional broadcast software so i cant comment on that.

cheers
    So, for converting to DVD compatible MPEG-2 both AVStoDVD and VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 use the same encoder, HCEnc, but VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 probably uses different settings for HCEnc than AVStoDVD, my preferred DVD converter.

AVStoDVD also allows users to set bitrates other than the defaults provided. Instead of offering quality settings, AVStoDVD allows users to select a target file size, or select "encode to fit" on DVD 5/DVD 9, or select 2-pass encoding. There is also an option to use QEnc as the encoder if someone wants their video encoded using a constant bitrate instead of variable bitrate.

AVStoDVD is easy to use for authoring, but its menu creation options are limited. If I want something other than a DVD with simple menu or no menu, I demux the converted video from AVStoDVD and import them into GUIforDVDAuthor to author a DVD. GUIforDVDAuthor offers some fairly advanced features but is not the easiest authoring software to learn to use. DVDAuthorGUI and TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 are easier to start out with.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    AVStoDVD also allows users to set bitrates other than the defaults provided. Instead of offering quality settings, AVStoDVD allows users to select a target file size, or select "encode to fit" on DVD 5/DVD 9, or select 2-pass encoding. There is also an option to use QEnc as the encoder if someone wants their video encoded using a constant bitrate instead of variable bitrate.
    i am not going to get into debates about different software, everyone uses what they use for many different reasons, and i use VRD for several reasons, including some of its features that many other programs dont offer, but if all you are doing is DVD conversions, then TMPGE or AVStoDVD will suffice.

VRD has a great feature called "smart rendering" which many other editing/encoding tools do not have, and that in itself is a bonus in many ways, but you have to understand how it actually works, and a lot of people actually have no idea at all, and a lot of every day users would have no idea what bitrates to manually set for certain types of output formats, and this is where VRD is very helpful by offering profiles with built in quality presets already configured if thats what you want to use.

as far as Manual controls goes, VRD also has the exact same manual settings that AVStoDVD and TMPGEnc has, so VRD users can either use the pre determined "Quality"preset in their output profile, or you can go into the profile "advanced" settings and manually set your own "Bitrate" mode, or you can output your files based on a set "File Size" which to me would only be used for encoding an Mpeg2 file to fit a single or dual layer dvd.

i recently did some test conversions where i used AVStoDVD, TMPGEnc and VRD to output one of my 1080/50p m2ts files to Mpeg2 to check them out side by side, and i found no difference between them, and i had no idea that AVS used the same HCEnc encoder as VRD does, although i have no idea what encoder TMPGE uses for its mpeg2 encoding.

i dont output many of my clients 1080/50p m2ts wedding videos to dvd, but if i do, i convert the HD file to dvd compliant Mpeg2 with VRD at a size to fit a single or dual layer dvd disc, and if i need a single video file to go onto a dvd without a menu screen, i use the VRD authoring tool, if i need multiple video files added with a menu screen, then i use my recently purchased TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5, which generally offers me better dvd authoring than AVStoDVD can (AVS has shit menu options)

at the end of the day, it is a case of each to their own, but VRD on top of its other fabulous features, does offer everything else that AVStoDVD does as far as manual controls in all its different output formats, and these are the reasons why i choose to use VRD.

cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 27th Mar 2014 at 02:53.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am not going to get into debates about different software, everyone uses what they use for many different reasons, and i use VRD for several reasons, including some of its features that many other programs dont offer, but if all you are doing is DVD conversions, then TMPGE or AVStoDVD will suffice.

VRD has a great feature called "smart rendering" which many other editing/encoding tools do not have, and that in itself is a bonus in many ways, but you have to understand how it actually works, and a lot of people actually have no idea at all, and a lot of every day users would have no idea what bitrates to manually set for certain types of output formats, and this is where VRD is very helpful by offering profiles with built in quality presets already configured if thats what you want to use.

as far as Manual controls goes, VRD also has the exact same manual settings that AVStoDVD and TMPGEnc has, so VRD users can either use the pre determined "Quality"preset in their output profile, or you can go into the profile "advanced" settings and manually set your own "Bitrate" mode, or you can output your files based on a set "File Size" which to me would only be used for encoding an Mpeg2 file to fit a single or dual layer dvd.

i recently did some test conversions where i used AVStoDVD, TMPGEnc and VRD to output one of my 1080/50p m2ts files to Mpeg2 to check them out side by side, and i found no difference between them, and i had no idea that AVS used the same HCEnc encoder as VRD does, although i have no idea what encoder TMPGE uses for its mpeg2 encoding.

i dont output many of my clients 1080/50p m2ts wedding videos to dvd, but if i do, i convert the HD file to dvd compliant Mpeg2 with VRD at a size to fit a single or dual layer dvd disc, and if i need a single video file to go onto a dvd without a menu screen, i use the VRD authoring tool, if i need multiple video files added with a menu screen, then i use my recently purchased TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5, which generally offers me better dvd authoring than AVStoDVD can (AVS has shit menu options)

at the end of the day, it is a case of each to their own, but VRD on top of its other fabulous features, does offer everything else that AVStoDVD does as far as manual controls in all its different output formats, and these are the reasons why i choose to use VRD.

cheers
    There are two different versions of VideoReDo currently for sale, VideoReDo Plus and VideoReDo TV Suite H.264. Only VideoReDo TV Suite H.264 offers all the features discussed above but it costs $50 more. If someone does not need the ability to edit H.264 video, and is open to using programs they have already paid for or free tools to convert and author video, and would like to save $50, VideoReDo Plus will suffice.

Many inexperienced users do not realize that AVStoDVD allows using different backgrounds than the default provided or motion menus. Users can add their own templates following directions given in the Help screens. There are also a few extra pre-made templates available from Sourceforge, which I must confess that I have never used because I prefer to use my own backgrounds. Its main limitations compared to more advanced authoring programs that I have used are that it does not allow function buttons other than a play all button, or creating chapter menus for the titles, or some advanced authoring tricks like switched menus.

[Edit] I suspect that VideoReDO TVSuite H.264 does not actually offer all the advanced DVD conversion features that are possible using AVStoDVD. For example, does VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 offer a way to remove pillarbox bars from HDTV captures so that its possible to use a 4:3 aspect ratio when authoring TV shows to DVD? That is easily done by adding a short AviSynth script on the AviSynth tab in AVStoDVD's preferences. Admittedly this would intimidate beginners, but a lot of people do want to remove pillarbox bars from 4:3 video that was upscaled for HDTV broadcasts.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Mar 2014 at 10:45.
    Quote Quote