VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm having strange problem with one of my tapes. The picture has some strange streaks going from up to down when tbc is not on, and when I turn on the tbc the picture is worse. I tried manual tracking but the problem is persistent and I don't have knowledge to resolve this.

I uploaded capture file lagarith 720 x576 25fps pal. http://www.mediafire.com/?sm37xrnj81knp4j

I capture on Panasonic nv fs 200 ( I tried it on Panasonic nv hs1000 and JVC 5800e the same problem )and pinnacle 110i. The problem is only with this cassette. I opened the cassette cover and the tape looks ok no streaks or anything.

Can experienced help with this tape
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can you guys at least point me on post that answered this issue as I can't find it on here or digitalfaq forums. I'm uploading the images of the files and some thumbnails
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vujna.avi_thumbs_[2011.10.10_09.43.19].png
Views:	259
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	9084Click image for larger version

Name:	vujna.avi_snapshot_00.21_[2011.10.10_09.42.42].png
Views:	433
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	9085Click image for larger version

Name:	vujna.avi_snapshot_00.04_[2011.10.10_09.41.35].png
Views:	428
Size:	748.2 KB
ID:	9086
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    IMO this is damaged tape. The oxide layer has been altered in some way.

Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    I opened the cassette cover and the tape looks ok no streaks or anything.
    You can seldom "see" disfiguration of the tape's metal oxide layer, unless its physically scratched, scraped, crimped or torn. If you play a very old tape that has a lot of noise because the image signal has faded below the signal level of the risidual tape noise, the tape won't "look" any different than a tape in better shape. Remember, too, that the signals on tape consist of magnetically recorded waveforms, not "pixels". The image doesn't become pixels until it's digitally translated. If the oxide coating has been sufficiently damaged, no TBC can be expected to play it properly. Often one cant physically see that kind of damage except with electronic 'scopes that can analyze it.

I don't think cleaning the tape would help. Tape cleaning fluid (some use high-grade alcohol) won't restore disgured electronic signals, but your tape might have oxidized to the point where your player heads can't read it properly. Still, don't be surprised if cleaning doesn't help.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 06:39.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The upper picture ( black and white one) is when I turn tbc on without it is not so bad except the line crossing from up to down like roller and some kind of chroma bleeding. Why is tbc on the vcr making picture worse. I also tried the other day trough Panasonic DVD recorder dmr es15 as pass trough ( because I saw examples here that kind of sort this kind of errors) but it didn't corrected it was the same as with the vcr alone without tbc on.

I can leave with that if there is no repair but I think there some avisyth script for this but my knowledge of avisynth is so low I can't find it

Just as guidance's on the same tape almost 2 hours prior to this footage and almost 40 min after this footage ( this footage is around 20 min recorded strait from TV its some show that will never repeat again and it's my aunt) the picture is excellent because it is a recording from TV and the second one form another event homemade video from camera. So I assume it's the recording or just piece of the tape where this footage is.
    Last edited by mammo1789; 20th Oct 2011 at 06:40.
    Quote Quote