VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    I have a movie which contains about ten music videos, and in between these videos are clips of interviewing the artists. I like to create a DVD main menu that has 2 selections: Selection A--play the whole movie, and selection B--play only the music videos and skip all the interview clips in the middle. I know one way to do this is to create a second movie that only contains the music videos from the original and make this as a second track in DVD-lab. However, this would make the whole thing too big for one DVD-R. I hope that somebody can help me with this. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm certainly no expert, but I tried to do the same thing myself. I could not find a way to do it within DVDLab, so ended up using the second method of making a separate title of solely the performances.
    I would suggest doing it the second way and compressing the interviews to be able to fit it on one DVDr.
    Maybe someone else has the definitive answer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The new pro beta of DVD-Lab has the ability to create Playlists, which is what I think you are trying to do. I haven't tried to use this function yet, so you're on your own - or post a question in the DVD-Lab forum at www.mmbforums.com
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes beta B2 has a playlist function. I use it all the time. Works just fine.
    -----------------------------------------------------

There is a reason why God gave us one mouth and two ears!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. thank you very much for all the responses.
    Awlchu, can you show me how to use the playlist function?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just saw another option in the Pro DVD-Lab, which may be more suitable if your project is one movie rather than a bunch of movies, and that is Movie Branching. Here's the description from the Pro history page on Mediachance's web site:-

- Movie Branching object. This object "clones" a movie and allows you to play it in a different sequence of chapters. You may play only some of the chapters and play chapters in any order. For example you create a movie but you would like to play also alternative shorter version that doesn't play chapter 2 and 6. You create Movie Branch object and then select chapters 1,3,4,5,7. Now you can work with it like with a normal movie. From your menu you can play the original movie or play the shorter, branched version.

Have a look at the history page for the new features http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/historypro.html

The movie branching is really easy to do, just like working with a separate movie, all you have to do is choose the chapters and link a button on the menu to it.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Safesurfer
    The movie branching is really easy to do, just like working with a separate movie, all you have to do is choose the chapters and link a button on the menu to it.
    Agreed. DVDlab Pro is really coming along at a great pace. Now with beta 3 released, you no longer need to use bridges if you're authoring with multi VTS. While I haven't had time to test this (in the short time since beta 3's release earlier today), I can see this will simplify matters no end.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Josef K,

The playlist and branching are now in VMG domain. Thus you can jump across VTS' without problems.

Did you notice that Oscar implemented region coding in Beta3? Not an issue for me but several professional users needed it.

Now I'm working on Oscar to implement user ops at least at the PGC level.

DVD-lab (Pro) is really coming along quite nicely.
    -----------------------------------------------------

There is a reason why God gave us one mouth and two ears!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awlchu
    Josef K,

The playlist and branching are now in VMG domain. Thus you can jump across VTS' without problems.
    This is the sort of thing I would have written if I hadn't been tired when I was replying.

Did you notice that Oscar implemented region coding in Beta3? Not an issue for me but several professional users needed it.

Now I'm working on Oscar to implement user ops at least at the PGC level.
    How long do you think before people mention DVDlab and Scenarist in the same breath? Oscar is a pretty cool developer - he listens to the users. This is DVDlab's strength and one reason so many people are switching to it from much more expensive, less functional and, above all, much less usable software.

DVD-lab (Pro) is really coming along quite nicely.
    This and what I write above are the two reasons why I pretty much recommend DVDlab when people ask about authoring software. All I need now is to wait for beta testing to complete and I can start again on those projects I put on hold when I first heard of Pro. I was seriously not going to use DVDlab (standard) for them due to lack of Multi VTS. Even the first beta had a nasty kludgy VTS import I wasn't altogether comfortable with. Beta 2 put my mind at ease, now I just need patience.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Josef k wrote:
    Agreed. DVDlab Pro is really coming along at a great pace. Now with beta 3 released, you no longer need to use bridges if you're authoring with multi VTS. While I haven't had time to test this (in the short time since beta 3's release earlier today), I can see this will simplify matters no end.
    where the hell did you get that from??????
    I can only find beta 2......
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm such a looooooooosssseeerrr

REFRESH was not on my list today!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tranfenec
    where the hell did you get that from??????
    I got it the hell from here

EDIT: No matter... we both posted at the exact same time.
    Quote Quote