VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In 2009 I bought my first BD player, and LG BD390, that allowed me to stream and also play mkv files burnt on DVD discs.

This LG player proved to be much better than I imagined, because due to recent movements I made to replace it have proven more difficult that I thought it would be.

First I looked in the media players options I had, but almost all of them refuse to play external optical sources. Even if I bought one, a Mede8er MED1000X3D, the external DVD play is a bit tricky sometimes.

Looked around for more recent BD players that could replace (and I thought improve) the LG BD390, but there don't seem to be that many, if any.

I found a Pioneer player, model BDP-140, as it was available here in Brazil, reasonably priced, and apparently could do all things the LG did. Unfortunately not quite so. It's tricky with subtitles (the Mede8er also is), needing alternative firmware to play them. And now it refuses to play some of the mkv files on my DVDs, particularly recent files. I couldn't yet find where's the problem.

I'm now trying to find other players, but Cinavia puts a large impediment on what's available.

What players or options would I have to play those DVDs?

HDDs are not an option, so please refrain to suggest that path. DVDs have proven a more reliable medium for these files.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could look into one of the Samsung BD players. The cheap one I have (BD-D5100) plays MKV files on BD media with no problem. The same files my WD Live box plays. I haven't tried the Samsung with DVD media, but I think that would also work as they are just data files. And I have no idea about subs as I rarely need them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. The only issue with Samsung players might be Cinavia, if it's part of it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Philips
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlmart View Post
    Thanks. The only issue with Samsung players might be Cinavia, if it's part of it.
    ALL BluRay players currently produced are required to support Cinavia, so this is not a Samsung specific problem.

We've had reports that BluRay players usually don't enforce Cinavia when playing MKV files, but that could always change in the future. I say "usually" because there might be a player somewhere that does enforce Cinavia on MKV playback, but I haven't read any posts here about such players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, indeed. All present players support Cinavia.

But as you said I have had different feedback on how they behave with mkv files, particularly on optical media or for streaming.

It does seem like a case by case question.
    Quote Quote