VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. 1. does mp4 support 10-bit.

2. if yes, how do i convert a 10-bit mkv into a 10-bit mp4? im currently using format factory with avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is not such thing as mkv video, mkv is a container that holds video, audio, subs, chapters, etc. try mkvextractgui2 to get the video out of the container.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    try mkvextractgui2 to get the video out of the container.
    You might be able to go directly to mp4 using winff. Just use the passthru preset and choose mp4.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. im dealing with .h264 video and aac audio. i /should/ be able to just remux those into an mp4 container shouldnt i? ill give winff a try
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by begna112 View Post
    im dealing with .h264 video and aac audio. i /should/ be able to just remux those into an mp4 container shouldnt i? ill give winff a try
    Yes that should work just fine
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. how do i do passthru? i cant seem to find that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by begna112 View Post
    how do i do passthru? i cant seem to find that.
    There are drop down windows with preset options. select passthru then mp4.

i don't have my computer on right now so i can't do screenshots for you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. maybe when you get back to a computer because if i leave "convert to" blank and the go to the presets there is not a passthru option

and if i choose convert to mp4 then i have even fewer options
    Quote Quote  
  9. It's very easy to create (or modify) presets in winff using regular ffmpeg commands. Here's a screenshot of one I created that does what you want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	presets.jpg
Views:	1787
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	14368
    Quote Quote  
  10. Even if you can mux 10bit h.264 into an MP4 container -- will anything other than a computer play it? What would be the point?
    Quote Quote  
  11. im just trying to figure out how to get my 10-bit animes into mp4 period. the issue is that the 10-bit ones are troublesome
    Quote Quote  
  12. yeah also, i dont have that _Passthrough preset at all. did you create all of those passthrough options?
    Quote Quote  
  13. i just copied what you had showed. is there any way to integrate avisynth into this process so that I can hardcode my ass subtitles? i know its a little off the topic of this forum but that was my original goal (convert to mp4 with hardcoded subtitles so that I can play them on appletv)
    Quote Quote  
  14. I should be clear i've been doing exactly that using avisynth and format factory. this method skips the conversion part though so i'm not sure how to get the subtitles in without re-converting it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by begna112 View Post
    yeah also, i dont have that _Passthrough preset at all. did you create all of those passthrough options?
    Yes, _Passthrough was created simply by entering it in the category box. It is not part of the preset package that comes with winff. The name starts with an underscore so it will show up near the top of the category dropdown.

I don't know or use ffmpeg commands for adding subtitles. Someone else may have the answer to that.

Some media players will automatically recognize subtitles if they have the the same filename as the video file. But that again, is not something I use.

Hardcoded subtitles requires a conversion. Period. Avisynth will also necessitate a conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  16. i actually got it figured out! your passthrough suggestion was brilliant though!

i used winff to passthrough the h264 video and aac audio into an mp4 container which you and others were right would not play in itunes / appletv so i used avisynth and format factory to convert as i normally would but using the new mp4 in the .avs file.

thanks for the great suggestion!

PS. this didnt allow me to get 10bit video into itunes but it worked with VLC and Media Player Classic
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by begna112 View Post
    i used winff to passthrough the h264 video and aac audio into an mp4 container which you and others were right would not play in itunes / appletv so i used avisynth and format factory to convert as i normally would but using the new mp4 in the .avs file.
    If you're going to add subs and recompress why bother remuxing into an MP4 file? Open the original MKV directly in AviSynth.
    Quote Quote