VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way I can fit 2 hours of my camcorder movies captured in HQ Mpeg2 format. Each file is about 3.2 G in size the two would amount to about 6.4 Gig.

Or else should I just recapture in SP mode which will be half the size and should easily fit on a single DVD-R. Please point me to the best solution without loosing too much quality as I have a lot more still to capture.

Thanks a lot.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best to use a dual layer DVD (8.152 GB) or two DVD-5 (single layer) for no reduction of quality.

If you further compress your 6.2GB to 4.4 GB your picture quality will suffer. Hand held camcorder material compresses poorly. I'm assuming you weren't using a tripod for every shot.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...or go the easy way if you don't have a DL burner / don't want to use DL media: Author as a regular DVD (but too big for a DVD-5) to HDD, then use DVDShrink to make it fit a DVD-5.
    Not the best route, but the simplest.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    What, how and with what do you capture?

/Mats
    I captured mini DV tapes from my Sony Digital Camcorder with Power Director.

...or go the easy way if you don't have a DL burner / don't want to use DL media: Author as a regular DVD (but too big for a DVD-5) to HDD, then use DVDShrink to make it fit a DVD-5.
    Not the best route, but the simplest.
    Would using DVD Shrink be any better than capturing in SP (2 hour DVD) mode in stead of HQ (1 hour DVD) mode ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best would be to capture to DV AVI, encode AVI to mpg @ a bitrate that fills the DVD. Obviously, Power Director doesn't provide that kind of control, so I suggest using something else to encode.
    Hard to tell if SP or shrunk HQ will be better. I guess you'll have to experiment.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Power Director allows DV format transfer at full quality (13.5GB/hr.) Do that and encode the DVD MPeg2 after you edit. Encoding while transferring will be much lower quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Power Director allows DV format transfer at full quality (13.5GB/hr.) Do that and encode the DVD MPeg2 after you edit. Encoding while transferring will be much lower quality.
    What is the best tool to encode AVI to Mpeg2 ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subhash
    Originally Posted by edDV
    What is the best tool to encode AVI to Mpeg2 ?
    There are many encoders out there. I'm not sure what Cyberlink uses but if you encode after capturing it will do an OK job. You can demo encoders like Mainconcept, CCE, TMPGEnc, etc and try before you buy.

Cheapest way to get the Mainconcept encoder is in ULead Video Studio, ULead DVD Movie Factory, Sony Vegas Movie Studio or Adobe Premiere Elements. If you watch for rebate specials you can get these under $50.
    Quote Quote