VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Background: Being tired of the clutter and deciding to do something about it (next to my HDTV I have a PS3, CD player, cable box, and stacks-upon-stacks of store bought movie DVD's), I installed a 500G HD in the PS3 and have started ripping my DVD's with the plan of transferring them to the PS3 and ditching the CD player, cable box, and physical disks...

...being a total novice at video ripping, encoding, etc...I've downloaded a few programs (starting with freeware stuff first) and so far have been using DVD Decrypter to rip & avi.NET to encode the .VOB files over to .AVI format. So far I've transferred about 20 movies over to the PS3 but occasionally I hit a snag...

Problem: Sometimes when encoding a .VOB using avi.NET, the file will seemingly process normally (no errors, audio processes ok), but when it gets to the video encoding portion it will complete in about 2 tenths of a second at over 29,000 FPS!!...after which avi.NET flashes the 'Conversion Complete' message. No error message, and no .AVI file created...

...not sure why this happens on some files and not others. I assumed that if it was a copy protection issue, that it would have shown up during the ripping process, but other than that I have no idea why this occurs? Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated...I've scanned the forum topics here but haven't found anyone else having the same problem...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It could still be a ripping problem so try rip with DVDFAB Decrypter or AnyDVD instead. If that wont help you could use autogk or staxrip and convert to avi. Or maybe convert to mp4 with h264 video(slower conversion speed though).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick, thanks for your input! Yes, when avi.NET would choke, I'd re-rip the DVD using DVDFab Decrypter but would still get the same result (which is why I didn't think it was a ripping error, just guessing though). Autogk looks promising...I think I'll give that a try. I'll post back here with the results...

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: Tried to encode the VOB using Autogk with the same result as avi.NET (everything processed normally, but when it came to encoding video it skipped through it at over 1,000 FPS and ended). Also, I re-ripped the VOB using both DVD Decrypter and DVDFab 8...but both had the same result...

...(newbie question) so even though a program can rip a .VOB, could the VOB still be copy protected? It's starting to appear so...I'm trying to rip a DVD that was released in 2001 and I have a hard time believing that it can't be cracked (isn't DVDFab supposed to be one of the best decrypters out there)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe because you are processing a menu of the DVD and not the actual movie?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hech54: That's a good thought, but when encoding I've been testing it out on one of the larger VOB's...also, avi.NET provides a preview so I'm sure I haven't been grabbing menu VOB's...

I ran the DVD through AnyDVD HD, and it shows that there is NO copy protection on the DVD at all (copied from AnyDVD):

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.7.7.0)
    PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801 4D28
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 1
    Current profile: DVD-ROM
    Media is a DVD.
    Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
    Size of first Layer: 2008512 sectors (3922 MBytes)
    Total size: 2852048 sectors (5570 MBytes)
    Video DVD (or CD) label: Operation_ LIVEcrime
    Media is not CSS protected.
    Media is locked to region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6!
    Video Standard: NTSC
    Structural copy protection not found.
    RCE protection not found.
    Patched DVD volume label!
    Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
    Bad sector protection not found.
    Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

...so this is where I'm at. The DVD dosen't have any copy protection, and I've ripped the VOB's using:
    AnyDVD HD
    DVDFab 8
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD Shrink
    DVDFab Decrypter

and have tried to encode the resulting VOB's using: avi.NET & AutoGK...both with the same result (encoding skips through the video portion at over 10,000 FPS without creating an AVI file). Again, out of about 20 DVD's that I've tried so far, I've run in to this problem on 3 of them...the others converted successfully. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I never mess with individual VOB files.....that usually results in major headaches. Convert the movie to one, giant MPEG file with VOB2MPEG to eliminate the option of grabbing(guessing at) the wrong VOB file...then convert to whatever you want.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update: Just playing around, I ran avi.NET again but selected a different codec...normally I've been using DivX7 (6.9.1), but this time I tried XviD 1.2.2 for the heck of it....and it's working like a charm!?!?!?

...So why would using an XviD codec work when the DivX would not??
    Quote Quote