VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys I have been scratching my head over this, and someone recommended i ask here.

I have windows7 and its awesome.
    I am using wmp12, because i like the ability to search video titles fast.

I have alot of codecs installed, and avi files dont play when ffdshow is installed - uninstall it and they play.
    I want ffdshow on my computer, so leaving it off isnt an option, especially when wmp12/ffdshow works with the SAME avi file on another computer.

g-spot says the avi files are dx50, so they are xvid i guess.
    the files play in km player/vlc etc but i'd like to use wmp if possible.

i have set ffdshows xvid codec to disabled and to xvid and to the ffdshow libavcodec option and still no luck.

can anyone help?

I did some search, but all i got was "wmp doesnt play avi, solution install ffdshow"
    for me its the opposite

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    dx50 = divx

So try set the divx 5 codec to disable in ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried that and i still get errors.
    I've disabled pretty much everything in ffdshow trying to rule things out, but it only works when ffdshow is uninstalled
    Quote Quote  
  4. In the early beta versions of W7, the codecs were "locked", meaning that you couldn't, for example get FFDshow to decode XviD instead of the native codecs. Im not sure how it stands now with the latest version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any 3rd party codecs are a mess right now on W7, MS basically forces you to use WMF.

You can try clsid's directshow filter changer for w7, it's still beta
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146910
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mh2360
    In the early beta versions of W7, the codecs were "locked", meaning that you couldn't, for example get FFDshow to decode XviD instead of the native codecs. Im not sure how it stands now with the latest version.
    yeah I was sorta hoping it'd work because i have another computer that works with the same win7 build. RC1 (build 7100).
    Im not convinced windows/wmp is the cause here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Any 3rd party codecs are a mess right now on W7, MS basically forces you to use WMF.

You can try clsid's directshow filter changer for w7, it's still beta
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146910
    tried it, didnt work, i switched to wmf and even divx/xvid and wmp still wont play
    I think I must of seriously broken something along the line. I guess I'll just make do without ffdshow until the retail win7 comes out.

thanks for the ideas anyway
    Quote Quote