VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any region free unlock codes for Blu-ray players that can be purchased in stores like Fry's and Best Buy. I am searching for a Blu-ray player that I don't have to order online and can have it's Blu-ray playing capabilities be made region free.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Shorter version: No.

Longer version:
    Nothing you buy in a store will be unlockable. Period. You now have no choice if you want region free in the USA/Canada but to buy from sellers like http://www.world-import.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shopping for models
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can still find the Toshiba BDX1200 or BDX3200 in America then I believe that flashing the Australian/New Zealand "KY" firmware onto them will make them region free for both BR and DVD(*). I have one with the KY firmware installed and can confirm it is region selectable for both.

* While changing the region will let you play PAL disks from other regions etc, it will output video in the format for that region (ie NTSC disks play output an NTSC signal, PAL disks output PAL at 25FPS etc. You also either need to ensure that your TV can handle the signal type in question (I understand that many in the US don't cope well with non-NTSC signals), or buy a PAL to NTSC converter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Flashing some players with firmware from other regions can brick the player because some manufacturers do not make hardware identical models across regions. Anyone who tries that suggestion does so with the knowledge that there may be some risk involved.
    Quote Quote