VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know if you can play VCD on a Sega CD. I was sitting thinking about that and I was thinking, "but for what reason would a sega CD have an MPEG-1 decompressor.." and then it hit me. The old sega CD system had a feature that if the music CD you were playing was enhanced then the Sega CD could play the music video that went along with the CD. So does anyone have anythoughts on this?
    Realmedia! The Nectar of the Tards!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yeh, I remember those things, my advice would be to try it and see. Get back to me with the results though. That would make a really cheap VCD player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That format was not a true VCD but instead maybe the CD+G format ... I am not sure if any modern programs support that now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Don't you remember the FMV games. Mad Dog McCree's video quality was absolutely horrible. I highly doubt the machine is capable of playing a compliant VCD. God, Prize Fighter wasn't even full screen and it was in black and white.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, the CD+G format was the one you're referring to. I pulled my Dragon's Lair SegaCD game out of mothballs to play, but after all this time, my unit's laser seems to be dead. It just kept spitting the disc out, even regular audio discs. Pity.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well even if you get it working the unit has a 1X lens in it. So theoretically your bit rate would be around 1200 max i think, which is absolutely horrible, not to mention, it doesn't support mpeg.
    So you could techniquely make video disks that would play you would have to do it not VCD. And definitely horrible video quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC, VideoCDs were designed for 1x playback. Also, my kids Genesis/32x/CD combination plays FMV titles pretty darn nicely. (It was easy to pick all those up when they were on firesale... $20 Sega CD, $20 32x, etc.)

A CD32x setup would be nice, but I doubt there are many others out there with this configuration to make it worth the effort to develop.
    Quote Quote  
  8. actually i do have a 32x sega cd setup...would be kinda cool to try...anyideas?
    Quote Quote