VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Vreveal to enhance some videos I took. I have the option of saving to uncompressed AVI, WMV, DIVX, or MJPEG AVI. I can't seem to save to DIVX I guess because I don't own the pro version of DIVX so that leaves three options. If I try uncompressed AVI I fill up my hard drive with the 24 videos I'm trying to convert. That leaves WMV or MJPEG AVI. I'm just trying to create a high quality DVD with the smallest file size. Vreveal's support did not help when I asked them. The original files are mp4's but I can't save the enhanced videos as such. I have several different video converters but I'm not sure what file type to convert the enhanced videos to so I can later make a DVD. I have an LG570 that plays AVI, MKV, DIVX, XVID, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVX HD.

To summarize:
    1. What file type do I save to in Vreveal?
    2. what file type to I convert to after saving in Vreveal to make burning a readable DVD possible?

Would someone please tell me what my options are or what they would do?

Thanks,

James
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to save to dvd directly after using your program? If so it must be mpeg2 with audio at 48khz if you want to make a regular dvd.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

That gives you the spec for dvds.

You can use any number of programs to convert mp4 directly to mpeg2 for dvd creation:

https://www.videohelp.com/convert

If you want to just the program you mentioned and are limited to those outputs than you will need to use an intermediate format and convert to dvd afterwards.

Actually your best bet is probably to save to avi uncompressed and then use a converter to make a mpeg2 file. If you are strapped on harddrive space than slow down your processing schedule and do just a few at a time. That way after you convert your avi to mpeg2 you can delete your uncompressed avi to save space.

BUT DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR ORIGINAL MP4 FILES.

Those are your original sources and should be saved for any future edits you may want to do.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yoda,

I'm trying to use as few steps as possible. I'm new to video formatting. This is what I'm trying to do.
    1. Enhance my mp4 files with Vreveal.
    2. Save those enhanced file as ? (not sure which file type to save to)
    3. Convert the saved file type into a file type that can be burned to a DVD.

My main concern is quality over speed. I have Format Factory installed to try and convert the file. I would like to use Divx as the video I've seen posted is great but format factory can't convert to it.

I keep reading about "containers" and "codecs" and how they are different but I'm not following what people are posting about them.

Thanks,

James
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jjred1977 View Post

I realize you are new around here, and welcome by the way, but that is not a very helpful statement. Any file that fits can be burned to a DVD. For example, you could burn a Real Media file to a DVD, but no DVD player would play it. Do you want to produce DVD format files that a standalone DVD player can play? Or burn AVIs to a disc that can be played by DVD players that support AVI playback? Or something else?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by jjred1977 View Post

I realize you are new around here, and welcome by the way, but that is not a very helpful statement. Any file that fits can be burned to a DVD. For example, you could burn a Real Media file to a DVD, but no DVD player would play it. Do you want to produce DVD format files that a standalone DVD player can play? Or burn AVIs to a disc that can be played by DVD players that support AVI playback? Or something else?
    I'm sorry for the confusion jman.

Primarily, I want to produce DVD format files that a standalone DVD player can play preferably with menus.

Secondly, I would like to know how to burn (AVI, mkv, divx, xvide, Mpegs) to a disc that can be played by DVD players that support those files. My Blue Ray player LG BD570 supports all these file types.
    Quote Quote