VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently discovered that most (if not all) of the current Blu Ray players have recently dropped DivX support.
    From what I've read here changing the Four CC to XVID will enable my DivX files to play without me having to convert them to XVID.

All I can find are programs that will change them one at a time.
    Is there a program that will do a batch FourCC change?

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you should consider buying one of those small form factor streaming media players like one of the Western Digital models instead of doing this.
    1) It would keep you from having to change a bunch of files.
    2) It would keep you from having your BluRay player's whims dictate what you do.
    3) The same manufacturers that are making you consider changing the FourCC code could take away Divx capability all together in the near future.
    4) Streaming media players don't recognize Cinavia, which might be useful to you at some point.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used a couple of Four CC changers including the one selur linked to (thanks, that's a cool program) and got around the artificial DivX restriction but got audio only and no picture on my new LG Blu-Ray player.

Crap, I'm probably going to either have to re-encode all these files to H.264 mp4 or buy something like the WD player and a couple of large HDDS.

I don't want really to re-encode all these files and lose quality and I've had enough HDDS die on me so that I don't trust them for long term storage.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'll try them.
    Last edited by groove365; 2nd Jan 2013 at 15:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, it's not just the fourcc. Sometimes it's the encoding template/profile (e.g.: high @ main, or profile 4.1) where players have compatibility with only certain profiles or families of profiles. Those will require a full re-encode (though this could be done in batch with converters such as Procoder, Squeeze, Rhozet CarbonCoder, etc or via script like ffmpeg).

I think jman98's idea is simplest.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    jman98's idea may be the simplest, but it's also the most expensive. Why purchase yet another device if you can find a solution that is free?

Try different FourCC's (for example, if xvid gives you problems, try mp4v or a different Mpeg4 codec code). You may find that it's not all of your files that need to be re-encoded. And if they do need to be re-encoded, they may not have been properly coded in the first place, so it may be just as well that you re-encode them.

I have the same issue with my Blu Ray player not playing my DivX files. I already have a Western Digital media player, but the model I have does not allow network access, and my DivX files are spread over 8 different hard drives (and counting), so it is much more convenient to use my Blu Ray player via Wi-Fi to play my files. This also allows me to keep my drives connected to my PC so I can access and edit the files, move them around, etc. If I have them connected to my WD media player, yes, I can connect all of the different drives using USB hubs, but if I want to edit or reorganise any files, I have to eject the drive(s) and connect them to my PC, and then re-connect them to the media player when I'm done.

There IS a different model of WD media player that has built-in Wi-Fi access, so if you are considering buying a new player, keep that in mind.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote