VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best capturing programme vhs to dvd .I want to create dvd of my vhs tapes via my pc video card brand Asus analogue capturing card.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Whuich ASUS card? ASUS is generally a poor choice for what you want to do.

The "best" capturing program for VHS to DVD (at least, that you and I can afford), is VirtualDub capture to losslessly compressed YUY2, then a good MPEG encoder like HCenc. For cleanup use Avisynth and/or VirtualDub before encoding. You asked for the "best", within reasonable cost (mostly free).

http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    The "best" capturing program for VHS to DVD (at least, that you and I can afford), is VirtualDub capture to losslessly compressed YUY2,
    My guess is that he wants to capture it in already DVD-compliant audio and video so it can be quickly authored and burned to a playable DVD. It's not how you and I do it but what can you do when someone wants quick and easy? I don't think he really wants 'best'.

Don't most capture cards and USB devices come with software for that? Something like Arcsoft Showbiz? Shouldn't even this Asus capture card have something included? If so, I'd recommend using that. None of them are any good, if you ask me, but the Arcsoft one has a two-week free trial if nusratjaveid doesn't have something already:

https://arcsoft-showbiz.jaleco.com/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Agreed 1000%. I don't think the O.P. is willing to go the lossless route, but few people are. So 'best' might be changed, I guess, to "'best for direct to DVD". What I've seen of ASUS cards, capturing direct DVD usually turns out a little worse than using a good DVD recorder at decent bitrates and a decent VCR. There are free and paid budget-class smart rendering MPEG editors that can get one in the ballpark without doing too much damage to the capture. The O.P. hasn't mentioned what he's uses to play the tapes, but I'm afraid to ask.

No, it won't be "the best". That takes time and work. No way around it. But a lot of folks consider VHS to DVD recorder is tolerable. I've made a couple of good caps with a Hauppauge PVR from VHS. Better than just letting the tapes rot, which will happen with time.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 11th May 2015 at 16:48.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote