VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I posted this somewhere else, sorry, new and feeling my way around - I think it may fit here better:

Using Powerdirector 10, and haven't been able to get an answer on this on the Cyberlink forums, so hoping someone here can help.

I'm about to buy a new laptop for my editing (I have reasons I need the mobility for my editing machine.) I have a choice of the newest high end AMD Radeon mobile GPU (the 7970m) or nVidia (675m.)

For general 3Dmark and other benchmarks, the AMD is much faster, about 30-40%. But Powerdirector uses CUDA for hardware acceleration of rendering, etc. on the nVidia. It mentions that it can utilize hardware acceleration for video encoding on AMDs but needs a download and install of codecs via Avivo.

I guess my general question is this: does anyone have experience in general with AMD vs. nVidia GPU hardware acceleration of video encoding ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. With Expression Encoder, Tmpgenc, Badaboom and others all supporting CUDA, it seems to be the better supported of the two.

TBH, I have yet to find a decent AMD based encoder to do a proper comparison.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by docdaddy View Post
    I posted this somewhere else, sorry, new and feeling my way around - I think it may fit here better:

Using Powerdirector 10, and haven't been able to get an answer on this on the Cyberlink forums, so hoping someone here can help.

I'm about to buy a new laptop for my editing (I have reasons I need the mobility for my editing machine.) I have a choice of the newest high end AMD Radeon mobile GPU (the 7970m) or nVidia (675m.)

For general 3Dmark and other benchmarks, the AMD is much faster, about 30-40%. But Powerdirector uses CUDA for hardware acceleration of rendering, etc. on the nVidia. It mentions that it can utilize hardware acceleration for video encoding on AMDs but needs a download and install of codecs via Avivo.

I guess my general question is this: does anyone have experience in general with AMD vs. nVidia GPU hardware acceleration of video encoding ?

Thanks
    Its OK. Latest AMd drivers install all necessary components to PD10 (I use it).

The convert files are fast really using HE (OpencL).

Nvidia has great numbers aplcattion using CUDA, but no bigger diference in encodes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	daCUn.png
Views:	992
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	12317
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Zyf3p.png
Views:	288
Size:	696.1 KB
ID:	12318

Claudio
    Quote Quote