VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I'm thinking about upgrading my computer and I want to be able to copy my home videos in HD DVD (Sony camcorder minidisc) to regular DVD disc. Can I do this? Do I need two DVD readers/burners if I don't want to put the video on my computer? Will I lose the HD quality? How do I copy to keep the HD quality? Is there specific software I need? I've seen many computers these days come only with one drive that does everything. So how do you copy stuff? I guess I'm old school but this seems limiting. I've become out of the tech loop in the past ten years and technology has passed me by. Please help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What model camera ? What format does it record in ?

If you want the copy to play in standard DVD players then you will lose the HD quality as you will have to convert the files to DVD compliant mpeg-2, which is standard definition.

Basically you have two choices - copy to your computer, convert and burn back, or get a DVD recorder, plug in the camera, press play and record, and keep your computer out of the loop.

If you just want to make a direct 1:1 copy then you can do it with two burners in a single PC, but that won't get you DVD compliant output unless the source is DVD compliant. However for backing up the original this will be fine.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My camera is a Sony HDR-UX5. It is recording in 1080i HD. By the way, it won't take generic discs only expensive Sony discs. I would like to keep the HD quality. Are HD writers not available or just super expensive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want hd you have two options - burn as avchd on dvdr or buy a bluray burner.

Bluray burners are dropping in price all the time. The blank media are still pretty pricey though. Those you could burn as bluray and keep the full hd content.

With avchd on dvdr your limited to 4-8 gb on single or dual layer dvdr. Also not all bluray players play avchd and only bluray players and computers can play avchd at all.

You can use free software like multiavchd to make avhcd discs or full bluray discs. tsmuxer can also make simple bluray discs. Your bluray burner should come with some basic or trialware software for making bluray movie discs.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote