VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm from the UK and now living in the US. I would like to watch UK dvds on the bluray player I have (LG BD590). Does anybody know of any codes I could input or a mod kit I could install to help me make the player region free? I am not too fussy about all region for bluray, but that would be a bonus.

From looking everywhere and not getting anywhere I know that the model is similar to the BD550 and BD570.

There is one comment on the LG BD590 section of this site that should be deleted for wasting time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, how do people work out the hacks for each machine. Its all very well going to a site and finding a particular hack but how was that hack discovered. Is there a secret menu on LG machines that engineers would use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also please don't tell me to buy an Oppo
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    first off you would have to deal with the dreaded pal to ntsc problem on dvds.
    second, not all dvd / bluray players can be hacked.
    did you get this player here in the US or the UK ??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The players I've had in the UK all seemed to be easy to hack. All the players I've had in the us (including this one) seem to be impossible
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know its possible as i found a company called Bombay Electronics from a google search who "Hardware modify" the BD590 and sell them at a premium price.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by robwop View Post
    The players I've had in the UK all seemed to be easy to hack. All the players I've had in the us (including this one) seem to be impossible
    If you are not going to supply any information when asked(by october262), this is going to be a short conversation.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If you are not going to supply any information when asked(by october262), this is going to be a short conversation.
    I did - "All the players I've had in the us (including this one)". The dvd player I would like to play UK discs was bought in the US.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1) Welcome to America....."an NTSC video format country".
    2) Hacks for todays players are few and far between....even straight DVD players.
    3) Even IF you found a DVD hack for this player, US televisions rarely play PAL format video
    There are TWO hurdles you need to cross in the US, Region Code and Video Format.
    Removing the region code problem does not solve the PAL/NTSC problem.....they are two different issues.
    PAL(UK) countries can play NTSC(US) easily....it is the exact opposite the other way around, which is your situation.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    1) Welcome to America....."an NTSC video format country".
    2) Hacks for todays players are few and far between....even straight DVD players.
    3) Even IF you found a DVD hack for this player, US televisions rarely play PAL format video
    There are TWO hurdles you need to cross in the US, Region Code and Video Format.
    Removing the region code problem does not solve the PAL/NTSC problem.....they are two different issues.
    PAL(UK) countries can play NTSC(US) easily....it is the exact opposite the other way around, which is your situation.
    I know that America is an NTSC country, hence the requirement for the all region/all format hack/mod. I know its possible with this model as people are selling them at a premium price pre hacked.

If I got this to at least show a picture then I would buy a pal to ntsc converter. I just want it to play and not give up and say "invalid region".

I have read that if you get an older firmware there is a hack you can put on cd.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rip the discs with makemkv and watch them as mkv on usb or data discs,every player i have tried will play them,if you don't want to do that then there's no other options for you.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pal works. Its only the region block. I could make new discs with dvd decrypter. Would still like a multi region hack though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Pal authorized discs won't work with all players even with region free.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I know that America is an NTSC country
    Then why are you asking about a region hack?
    A "region hack" has never and will never solve a PAL/NTSC issue.
    Did you not understand what I typed? I grew up in America and now live in Europe. I know what I'm talking about when it comes to watching DVD from a different part of the world....and even that does not change the facts.....those being:
    1) A hack of any kind for a Blu Ray player is VERY RARE.
    2) American NTSC televisions do not "do" PAL video very well at all.
    3) Insisting the impossible MUST be possible(a hack for a Blu Ray player), while knowing that this virtually impossible task
    will probably leave you in the exact same situation(unwatchable DVD).......is ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pal works. Its only the region block. I could make new discs with dvd decrypter. Would still like a multi region hack though.
    It is true that not all Blu-Ray players convert from PAL to NTSC, but I have experience with a US model LG BP220 Blu-Ray player (not region free) that can convert from PAL to NTSC for an NTSC TV when HDMI is used as the connection. Have you already tried ripping a PAL DVD and playing the copy? If that works, then it is the best solution available for using this player.

Your Blu-Ray player was released in 2010, but it is 2016 now, and there is no hack listed at VideoHelp for it, not even the UK version. If a hack hasn't shown up by now, chances are it never will.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jan 2016 at 13:13. Reason: removed extra word
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That was always my hope, that HDMI (or simply HD in general) would once and for all get rid of the PAL/NTSC nonsense, but again I have been disappointed.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My BD590 can play pal discs on an ntsc tv. I just can't play discs that are region blocked.

The way around this is to create an iso on dvd decrypter then burn it to a blank dvd.

I have some pal authorized region free discs that do work on this player.

There is no hack on videohelp and other sites but that may be because people aren't trying to hack players like they once did. Does anybody know of any LG engineer/programmer hacks to get to secret screens?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

There is no hack on videohelp and other sites but that may be because people aren't trying to hack players like they once did. Does anybody know of any LG engineer/programmer hacks to get to secret screens?
    People do not figure out hacks by pressing random key combinations on their remote. Region free hacks are leaked by someone working in a service facility or factory, or found in a service manual, or someone simply tried a hack which worked for an earlier model from the same manufacturer and found it still worked. Some posted hacks do involve a service remote or a remote that can be programmed to act like one.

You may be able to buy a service manual for your player somewhere, but there is no guarantee it will provide instructions for unlocking the DVD region code. My guess is that the service manual won't be of help since service manuals are a common way to obtain hacks and nobody has shared the secret after 5+ years.

[Edit]N. American Blu-Ray players can be unhackable for all practical purposes. Because they only need to be able to play Region A Blu-Ray, plus no region, all region and region 1 DVDs, the manufacturer can hard-code this information on a chip or in the firmware making it impossible for consumers to change it. The region-free players sold by specialty retailers here are often imported from outside N. America, and physically modified, or equipped with custom firmware to work here.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Jan 2016 at 17:56. Reason: left out a word, clarity additional info
    Quote Quote