VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to editing and have been wasting away trying to find the best and easiest way to import MKV files into Premiere Pro CS4.

I have tried Avisynth using a script. It crashed a few time but then I got it to work. I tested a snippet and exported it with fairly good results but for some reason, the last frame on the timeline appeared on the finished project at the very start of the video. I also had a few sluggish frames and it didn't flow as well as the original.

I guess my question to you guys is what is the best way to work with this type of container without creating a large file ( Lossless) and without encoding it and losing quality?

I am going gray just trying to find a way to work around this.

By the way, the original files are over 1-1/2 hours long. I am also looking to grab small sections at a time using several MKV files to make one highlight video. And finally, this isn't just a cut and past deal, I am looking to add transitions and all that good stuff.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Joe
    Quote Quote  
  2. If your .mkv has progressive content, then use dgavcindex, avisynth, premiere avs import plugin

Editing will be slow unless you have a very fast computer. If your listed specs are correct, it won't work smoothly. Although the file may play normally in a media player , there is additional overhead imposed upon by the NLE, frameserving in.

Otherwise encode to a digital intermediate like cineform , dnxhd , or UT (if you want lossless)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If your .mkv has progressive content, then use dgavcindex, avisynth, premiere avs import plugin

Editing will be slow unless you have a very fast computer. If your listed specs are correct, it won't work smoothly. Although the file may play normally in a media player , there is additional overhead imposed upon by the NLE, frameserving in.

Otherwise encode to a digital intermediate like cineform , dnxhd , or UT (if you want lossless)
    Thank you Poisondeathray!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi guys
    How can i import .mkv in Premiere CS5.5?
    thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sheibani View Post
    Hi guys
    How can i import .mkv in Premiere CS5.5?
    thanks...

1) encode to digital intermediate (e.g ut video codec, lagarith, ffv1, etc...)

2) frameserve in (e.g. avfs - avisynth virtual file system)
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=133313
    http://www.turtlewar.org/avfs/

3) Premiere CS5 AVS Importer
    http://pwolfamv.com/programs/csavs64/

or

4) sometimes re-wrapping to transport stream works e.g. tsmuxer (but it depends on how the video was encoded - some settings may make it incompatible)
    Quote Quote  
  6. thank you
    About our Conversation...is it true?
    SEVERE WARNING: do not install something like K-Lite codec packs. That will generally require a complete reformat of your boot disk and a complete fresh install of OS and programs. A typical SNAFU (systems normal, all f*cked up) situation.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I would avoid codec packs in general (just install the things you need), but I think the warning is overstated

True fact - In the past codec packs caused a lot of problems for many people, but they undeservedly have a poor reputation these days. Many people use them without issue , but I would still avoid them in general
    Quote Quote  
  8. So, Do you avoid installing them? (I mean, is codec packs)
    What is your suggestion in the end?
    p.m: Do you use Premiere pro?
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Assuming codec packs are mainly benign and organized (which I still disagree with), the main problem is still in the troubleshooting. If 1 or 2 items is messing things up, you WON'T KNOW how to isolate for those. Best left alone.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have several computers, most of them don't have codec packs, but 2 of them have k-lite mega

But on the computers that have k-lite, none of them have blown up . But I have custom install (selected only filters that I know I need), not the shotgun approach. (I know exactly what filters I need and how to disable/enable them in configuration and through graphstudio)

If I make suggestions to other people, it's usually not to install a pack (they might not know about codecs and how to troubleshoot)
    Quote Quote  
  11. One other question...
    If I use a converter, what's your suggestion? (The best and fastest)
    What's the best format to convert and import my footage to premiere pro? (MKV To MP4, MKV TO AVI OR...)
    excuse me, my English is not good
    Quote Quote  
  12. There is no "best"

Quality, size, speed are tradeoffs

Performance in premiere is also another consideration. More compressed = slower performance (slower to edit and navigate)

Higher quality usually means bigger size. Faster editing speed usually means less compressed, bigger size. Faster conversion speed usually means less compressed

I often use cineform for close to lossless, ut video codec for lossless . Both are many times larger than typical filesizes so you need lots of free HDD space

If the mkv used compatible encoding parameters, the fastest and "best" would be re-wrapping with tsmuxer. No quality loss, only small change in filesize (transport stream overhead), very fast. If it didn't, it won't work
    Quote Quote  
  13. Another fast way is frameserving using those methods above, like avfs. You have to learn avisynth scripting, but there is no time wasting converting, no large intermediate files , it's instant. But the performance isn't as good in premiere (editing speed) as something like cineform

Each method has trade-offs, pros & cons
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi again
    we know mkv is a container
    i use "XMedia Recode" and copy to mp4 (Audio and video data extracted and put in new container)
    Other Programs:
    "MKVToolnix 5.0.1 and MKVExtractGUI" (Extract the essence media) and i use "MP4Muxer" to make mp4
    Do you recommend this method?
    What's the problems?
    Welcome to the Hotel California

Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Sheibani View Post
    Hi again
    we know mkv is a container
    i use "XMedia Recode" and copy to mp4 (Audio and video data extracted and put in new container)
    Other Programs:
    "MKVToolnix 5.0.1 and MKVExtractGUI" (Extract the essence media) and i use "MP4Muxer" to make mp4
    Do you recommend this method?
    What's the problems?

It's the same idea as tsmuxer. The potential problem is it won't work (like tsmuxer). It only works if the video in the mkv used compatible encoding settings. It's worth giving a try , because it's very fast (just re-wrapping)

The other frameserving or DI methods work 100% of the time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @sheibani

THAT's where K-Lite solves the problem, but you need an AVI container, not MP4.

What? You think xmedia recode doesn't use the free codecs? Even Sony Vegas Pro can render to ffdshow codecs. While you're waving the big WARNING! flag, everybody but YOU is using 'em.

Hello? McFly? Anybody in there?
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th May 2012 at 21:18.
    Quote Quote  
  17. hello
    What is your opinion?

Quote Quote  
  18. AVI container is not reliable for h.264 and b-frames (likely that's what your mkv is using for video compression). You will get seek problems and/or black or green frames .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I meant use avi to associate-access the vfw codecs, not MP4. Doesn't Premiere use the ffdshow, Lagarith, etc. filters via AVI?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    No, I meant use avi to associate-access the vfw codecs, not MP4. Doesn't Premiere use the ffdshow, Lagarith, etc. filters via AVI?

1) He's trying to import an MKV

2) The MKV is likely using h.264 with b-frames

3) h.264 with b-frames is unreliable in AVI container - b-frame decoder lag, green frames

4) Therefore re-wrapping the h.264 video into AVI for the purpose of importing into an NLE through VFW codec usually isn't a good idea

5) If your h.264 video didn't have b-frames, it can be ok sometimes. But it's more reliable if you use intra only

Both premiere and vegas use VFW codecs, but lagarith has it's own VFW decoder (not ffdshow). It is reliable because it's an intra codec (I frame only, no b-frames)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, understood. just mentioning AVI in case OP needs Lagarith or Cineform. As a DI.

I know first choice is to edit natively, but if that doesn't work with a simple container remux, then might as well go the DI route.

I don't think the OP understands about AVI vs. MP4, because he mentions simply wanting to go from MKV to MP4, as if the container is the problem.

Whatever you stated is flawless, as usual, just throwing in my extra two-cents.
    Last edited by budwzr; 7th May 2012 at 09:44.
    Quote Quote  
  22. i import movie in premiere pro but...
    i can't move audio track
    i want to transfer "audio track 7" to "audio track 1"

http://img4up.com/up2/36701417629134585388.jpg

Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Sheibani View Post
    i import movie in premiere pro but...
    i can't move audio track
    i want to transfer "audio track 7" to "audio track 1"

http://img4up.com/up2/36701417629134585388.jpg

Just click and drag it . Make sure tracks aren't locked . Your screenshot doesn't show audio track #1

If audio track #1 doesn't have matching channel configuration, it won' t let you. (E.g. 5.1 vs 2.0) . Then you would need to set up your sequence settings properly in the first place
    Quote Quote  
  24. I can't drag it...

Screenshot
    http://img4up.com/up2/99642368869673472584.jpg

Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Sheibani View Post

The channels don't match

Audio 1 is a stereo track. The audio on Audio track 7 is mono (notice the speaker icon, is single, not double)

Did you read this ?

If audio track #1 doesn't have matching channel configuration, it won' t let you. (E.g. 5.1 vs 2.0) . Then you would need to set up your sequence settings properly in the first place
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	12354  

Quote Quote  
  26. ٍExcuse me
    for editing, i chose the right?
    Do you think I got the best Preset?

Click image for larger version

Name:	45980217375121968627.jpg
Views:	6886
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	12356

Name:  64004369896327035730.jpg
Views: 18293
Size:  16.9 KB

Overall bit rate : 1 567 Kbps
    Bit rate : 1 394 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 816 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Audio Channel(s) : 6 channels

Thanks a lot

Quote Quote  
  27. what is your export goal?

your video is cropped 1920x816 (no letterbox), so there are no presets for that

use a custom sequence setting to match 1920x816, 23.976 fps , square pixel - go to the general tab, editing mode: desktop, timebase 23.976, 1920x816, PAR square pixel, fields progressive - basically match all the settings to your input video . (When you export use similar settings, assuming you want the same type of video) .

Master audio should be 5.1, because your source is 5.1 . The other settings only matter if you are mixing other tracks

how did you import the video? re-wrap into mp4?

what type is the audio? AC3? DTS? from your other screenshot, it looks like you are importing mono channels individually, not a 5.1 single track. Is there a reason for that ? You might have to import audio separately e.g. mkvextractgui2, then import audio separately
    Quote Quote  
  28. movie trailer...
    Yeas, re-wrapping into mp4
    Audio type is AAC
    There's no reason I did not know
    Thanks

Quote Quote  
  29. Excuse me, Which aspect ratio do I choose?

Click image for larger version

Name:	23908625887138869507.jpg
Views:	6397
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	12361

Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Sheibani View Post
    Excuse me, Which aspect ratio do I choose?
    Please read the previous post more carefully:

editing mode: desktop, timebase 23.976, 1920x816, PAR square pixel, fields progressive - basically match all the settings to your input video . (When you export use similar settings, assuming you want the same type of video) .
    You didn't answer the other question, but if your export goal was something like blu-ray, you need to use different settings (cropped size is not compatible, you need full frame letterboxed 1920x1080)
    Quote Quote