VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a pair of Bose Ear Buds. They are great and give me complete listening pleasure. However, like all thin audio wiring, after 4 years of use the cabling where they enter the actual buds have gotten worn out. The outer jacket is torn up. They still work but I am sure they will eventually break off. I am looking for advise on how to repair them with out separating them from the buds. That is, I can not use heat shrink or any thing like a sleeve. I am looking for a product that wraps around and maybe solidifies like epoxy or something. Does any one have a cleaver solution? I considered wrapping the thin wiring with black electrical tape but it just does not look good on a pair of Bose buds.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's a good thing you're thinking about fixing the problem before it gets to be one. I'd try some black RTV silicone sealant, if you're careful you can do a decent looking job.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for the info. Is that something I can find at Radio Schack, or do I need a more serious supplier?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Much better than silicon sealant is special urethane glue used in cars to fix windshield in place - they are not very expensive, provide very robust and resistant (also UV) nice looking elastic surface.

Something like this:
    http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-fast-cure-auto-glass-urethane-08690-p-11379.aspx
    (you can think about using special primer for such auto glass glue - it will increase adhesion and will provide higher quality of sealing)

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08682-Single-Step-Primer/dp/B00473W5V8/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

Expensive a bit - perhaps car glass service in your neighborhood can provide you one or two drops free or for small fee
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have fixed hundreds of ear buds with similar problems. Send them to me and I will try to fix them. I remove the worn part, resolder and apply heat shrink tubing if necessary. Include one dollar for return shipping.
    Private Message me for address.
    Last edited by jimdagys; 14th Dec 2012 at 05:58.
    Quote Quote