VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

as the title states, i would like to know how i can crop out the starting bits of my video without recompressing the file. I loaded the file into vdub, specified the first frame and the part that i wanted to crop out, and clicked delete. It has been removed from the vid when i play it back. However whenever i save it (Save as AVI F7), the deleted section reappears. Both my audio and video are selectes as direct stream copy. Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi thanks for the quick reply.

So I need to be in full processing mode, select 'smart rendering" and select the Codec used for the initial compression, and it should recompress only the initial sections that I specified until the next keyframe, and the rest remain uncompressed?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I selected full processing mode, ticked smart rendering, selected the relevant compression (XVid) and then reverted back to direct stream copy. When i tried to save the file, the part that i cut out is still there. How do i solve this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rantpolicy View Post
    I selected full processing mode, ticked smart rendering, selected the relevant compression (XVid) and then reverted back to direct stream copy. When i tried to save the file, the part that i cut out is still there. How do i solve this?
    Did you cut only on Key Frames.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The link that Baldrick posted made me understand that I could only cut key frames in direct stream copy mode. However it also mentioned that I could work around that by selecting smart rendering. My previous post detailed my process, however i am still unable to cut before the second keyframe
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Btw, just for in the future to have less confusion: "Cropping" always only refers to an operation of cutting down the resolution dimensions of a clip - NEVER to be associated with cutting, pasting, trimming, inserting, appending or concatenating of clips in a sequence/timeline. That has to do with length of program.

Had you really wanted to crop, the answer would have been NO, you always have to re-encode.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. So..
    how do i cut out a section that is not at a keyframe without recompression?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rantpolicy View Post
    I selected full processing mode, ticked smart rendering, selected the relevant compression (XVid) and then reverted back to direct stream copy. When i tried to save the file, the part that i cut out is still there. How do i solve this?
    Do not revert back to Direct Stream Copy. Leave the program in Full Processing mode. Make your cuts, Save As AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Changed the title to better suit the help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Please correct me if I'm wrong..

If i cut off the intro bits to the video in full processing mode, I can remove the bits that dont start on keyframes, and then recompress with the same settings of the initial compression with no loss of quality?
    I usually work with the audio medium and anything that has been compressed from say wav to mp3 is irreversible in quality so even if i reconvert to wav, the initial sound quality is lost.

Is it the same in video? How should i go about doing this?
    Quote Quote  
  11. In full processing mode with smart rendering enabled only cut GOPs will be recompressed. The rest of the video will pass through unchanged.
    Quote Quote