VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am trying to add subtitles to a Divx video but the result is different from the original in size/position of subs.
    My Divx is 640x480, encoded from a NTSC DVD.
    The subs are in idx/sub format extracted from the DVD.

I have tried DivXMuxGui, Sub2Divx, and Avisub. I think they all use DivXMux under the hood.
    I even tried DivXMux directly.
    The result is the same with all: the subs are lower on the screen than the original DVD, and they are
    horizontally larger (stretched).
    It seems that the subs are the same size as they are on the 720x480 DVD frame. They haven't been scaled to 640x480.

I even tried a program called bmptoxsub. This creates a Divx subtitle track from subs extracted in Philips SVCD format.
    I then used DivXMux to mux this sub track with the avi.
    The result was exactly the same as others; subs are lower and horizontally larger.

There is another program AVIAddXSubs, which can mux avi and idx/sub files, but I can't get this to work.
    No matter what I try the resulting avi doesn't show any subs, even though the player indicates that there is a sub track.

Anyway, is there any program that can produce subtitled Divx files from graphic sub files, with correct size and positioning of subs?
    It seems that all the existing programs are geared toward text based sutitle files, e.g., srt. But they don't know how to handle
    graphic based subtitle files, idx/sub, correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

I can't tell if having them burned into the video, or embedded into the video, is OK with you. If it is, if you add in the IDX/SUB file before the resize to 640x480 you should be OK. The height/position on the screen can be easily adjusted in VobSub Configure or by going into the IDX itself.

If you're having the subs just display along with the video, then I don't know, but it sounds like you're right; you're getting the original BMPs without the 4:3 resize you'd get when playing the DVD. I don't use subs like that so someone else will have to help.
    Quote Quote