VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to rip a branded original Toy Story special edition DVD that I purchased using Xilinix DVD Ripper Ultimate 7.1.0 (registered).
    Success with other DVDs but not with this.

The DVD plays normally on VLC and is new. When I attempt to open the DVD contents using Win explorer this windows file manager stalls and then stops responding. After I open the Video_TS file there is a proliferation of different VTS_**_*.vob files of large size(a bit more than 1 GB), which sum far far more than the 6.6GB total for the DL DVD. The same appears on the Xilinix work area when trying to convert it to .avi. . Many many 1.2 GB titles, all with different numbers like title11_1,2,3,4,5, title 8_1,2,3,4,5, etc. Ripping stalls and then Xilinix stops responding. I am admittedly new to this process but I suspect that some type of anti-ripping/copying system is at work. Are there any work arounds? Is this hopeless? I am trying to keep my kids entertained but prefer to show the movie on a laptop using a digital file rather than subject the expensive DVD to handling by kids and its ultimate destruction. Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Disney DVDs often have copy protection which some rippers don't like. If Xilinix DVD Ripper can't rip it try the free version of DVDFab (unless you can update Xilinix DVD Ripper to a newer version). With DVDFab running in the background you might have better luck, or use DVDFab to rip the DVD to your hard drive and convert it from there.

You could also try MakeMKV which will extract the contents of a DVD to an MKV file (no converting) or there's AnyDVD (but I'm not sure of there's a free version).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by seajay View Post
    Xilinix DVD Ripper Ultimate 7.1.0 (registered).
    Stop using garbage and try DVDFabDecrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try BDlot DVD ISO Master to rip to ISO (obviously). It's designed to deal with Disney protection methods.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I acquired DVDFAB Copy software and from the copy-protection stripped files it generated I was able to easily rip the Disney video files using Xilinix. Seajay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You paid for software that's available for free,so I guess you'll use it no matter what people tell you. You got ripped off. Read these forums,people use DVDdecrypter,DVDfab,and Anydvd.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ripped off normally means having things/money stolen or taken with nothing in return. I am however successfully using both DVDFAB Copy (paid) and Xilisoft (paid) and am receiving the benefit of their function so I don't feel ripped off at all. Maybe they are not the best but I don't care as long as they do the job. And what is the best software for any task will consume a lifetime of posts, petty invective and ad hominem attacks, specious disputatious logic and senseless argument better avoided. In any case I am not fully immersed in the world and ways of video software management. It is not my field, which is something far far richer than what happens in this admittedly useful forum (Thank you all for your help!). While I am not rich I respect the work and time that goes into crafting software (and movies). If someone doesn't pay for it it won't happen and we will all be poorer for it. I am also suspicious about free software since nothing in life is free and I worry the codes are not entirely benevolent when the package is not open source. While you may think of me as a sucker for paying for something that can be had for free through hacks and quasi criminal behavior without suckers like me your life would be very diminished. We will all be better off if we are good citizens.
    Have a nice day.
    CJ

BTW DVDFAB is not free and FYI the DVD movies I am ripping were ALL purchased from legitimate retailers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    BTW DVDFAB is not free and FYI the DVD movies I am ripping were ALL purchased from legitimate retailers.
    DVDFabDecrypter is free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    DVDFabDecrypter is free.
    And it's the good part of the program. I use handbrake to encode the mpeg2 to h.264.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the trial of xilisoft converter last year and it works well for Chinese software, at least better than those other Chinese converters that I actually paid for. The problem is all of these use freely available libraries that people work on for nothing and then they're charging you for something they just slapped some pretty icons on. Out of all the converters I've tried handbrake seems to be the only one that works without out of sync audio or garbled sections of the dvd.

I spent about 70 on dollars on crappy software last year that being Aura and Nero. Nero aint really that bad it's just that it does the same thing as free stuff and some of the things just don't quite work right. DBPowerAmp and DVDfab passkey would have to be the best purchases I've made recently. I'm glad I tried Nero and Aura but I would never purchase them again.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    DVDFabDecrypter is free.

Umm, NO DVDFab IS NOT FREE and I wish you people would stop saying that.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by tripower View Post
    Errrr...... yes it is. At least the version which hech54 linked to is. Follow his link to it's page on VideoHelp and you'll see it's listed as freeware. Or follow this link to the page offering the free DVDFab HD Decrypter on the DVDFab website.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are free version of DVDFabDecrypter, but for full decryption facilities then you have to pay
    Quote Quote  
  14. How does the paid version decrypt better than the free version? I know the paid versions have extra features but do they decrypt the disc any better?
    Most if use here would just use DVDFab to decrypt the disc but maybe something else to rip the files to the hard drive, and definitely something else for converting to another format.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    How does the paid version decrypt better than the free version? I know the paid versions have extra features but do they decrypt the disc any better?
    Most if use here would just use DVDFab to decrypt the disc but maybe something else to rip the files to the hard drive, and definitely something else for converting to another format.
    the paid version of dvdfab will get access to new decryption updates faster while the free version will get updates 30 to 90 days after the paid version.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by tripower View Post
    Errrr...... yes it is. At least the version which hech54 linked to is. Follow his link to it's page on VideoHelp and you'll see it's listed as freeware. Or follow this link to the page offering the free DVDFab HD Decrypter on the DVDFab website.
    A COMPLETE load of crap. I downloaded DVDFab ripped the DVD, it ripped it (to the wrong format I may add) then said at the end of the process that I have "30 DAYS LEFT ON MY FREE TRIAL". When I run the movie file it has a gigantic DVDFAB WATERMARK in the far left hand corner. Does that sound like a FREE product to you? Now once again please stop telling people this is freeware.

Oh and it doesn't even have the option to rip to ISO.....
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You are wrong in that you are using dvdfab to re-encode the movie which will leave a watermark and you have to pay for the encoding version for no watermark,directly ripping a movie is free in file mode which most people here use it for.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A COMPLETE load of crap. I downloaded DVDFab ripped the DVD, it ripped it (to the wrong format I may add) then said at the end of the process that I have "30 DAYS LEFT ON MY FREE TRIAL". When I run the movie file it has a gigantic DVDFAB WATERMARK in the far left hand corner. Does that sound like a FREE product to you? Now once again please stop telling people this is freeware.

DVDFabDecrypter is FREE.....the COPY portion is FREE.
    The other features(re-encoding) in DVDFab are what you pay for.
    The company who makes this program have their terminology WRONG.
    A "rip" of a DVD is an EXACT COPY of a DVD.....not some re-encoded video file.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by tripower View Post
    Given you're not seeing the distinction between crap and fact I'll explain it to you.
    "Ripping" means extracting the video from the disc and saving it to another disc or your hard drive. That's it. Nothing more. The subject of this thread is "DVD Ripping". Re-encoding the video is converting, not ripping, although the two terms are often used interchangeably by people who don't know better. And by the makers of DVDFab apparently. Nobody here has suggested using DVDFab for converting. Nobody has claimed it's converting function is free. Nobody here would be likely to use it for converting.

The DVD ripping/decrypting part of DVDFab is in fact free. I've not installed DVDFab in years until today, and they do seem to blur the lines between ripping and converting, and in my opinion it's become something of a bloated mess (bundled with a heap of other stuff you have to pay for and probably wouldn't want to use anyway), but DVDFab was only suggested as a method to "rip" DVDs in this thread, in order to convert them using a decent, free conversion program, and it's DVD ripping function is in fact free.

I thought DVDFab HD Decryptor would also decrypt discs "on the fly" so you could rip them with something else while it decrypts in the background. DVDFab Passkey will do it but it's not free. I'll have to play around with it later. It wanted me to reboot the computer after installing it but I'm in the middle of converting some videos at the moment so I can't do that yet.

The free version mightn't do it, but yes, it does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.gif
Views:	7399
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	15341
    Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd Dec 2012 at 02:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or if you insist on using 'free' trial software, have a look at SlySoft AnyDVD HD

It handles blu-ray and DVD and audio CD protections, its updated pretty much as fast as DVDFab and IS 100% free and fully functional, BUT everytime you use it you MUST click on countless nags and reminders until it starts to rip. It does this on EVERY disc you rip, so forcing you to eventually pay for a fully activated version

Both can be installed at the same time, but cannot be run at the same time. Simply due to both pieces of software would then be conflicting with each other. Both will refuse to run if they detect the other one is currently running

I have used both, and prefer AnyDVd HD, but I will admit it has failed on the odd occasion. Where DVDFabDecrpyter has managed to rip it. I put that down to the protection ripper method may have been better or that it bypassed the problem areas on the disc in a better way
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... A COMPLETE load of crap. I downloaded DVDFab ripped the DVD, it ripped it (to the wrong format I may add)...
    Then you probably didn't select the right option ().

I'm not crazy about the dvdfab encoder, which is why I've often recommended the free part (I've never tried a disc where the free version wouldn't decrypt it), but I would trust it to encode to the format I've suggested.

Why do the most clueless noobs drag up old threads and then arrogantly make stupid comments?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there is confusion, even from the creator of dvdFab

ripping used too mean just means directly copying the files removing the copy protection

but now it says 'copy dvd', this is a full complete NO watermark copy
    you end up with a dvd folder containg ALL useable FULL SizE files

using the 'riping' option to "CONVERT" to another format produces the water mark

iF using the free version, use COPY DVD, then convert to AVI MP4 etc using another program
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not have a look at VidCoder, its 100% free and will pretty much 'rip' an unencrypted disc to MKV almost for you

If you have DVDFabPasskey or AnyDVD HD running it should also decrypt it on-the-fly (much better and quicker to rip the complete disc first then run it through VidCoder)

http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/releases/view/94766
    http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/releases/view/99179
    Quote Quote