VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gear:
    Black Magic Intensity
    Windows 7 64 bit, I5, 8GB of ram, capture raid 0 of three 2TB drives 7800 RPM
    Sony HDR-FX7 camera
    Adobe Premiere and On Location CS5, As well as Black Magic Desktop Video program

What I am trying to do is feed the HDMI output from the camera into the PC using the black magic HDMI input. It's not going well. First, the Black Magic card seems to just stop talking to the Sony Camera. Then when it does work, I can only get an input if the capture is set to 1080p 29.97 on the black magic preferences. There are two issues with this - first, in any capture program I end up with two images, one on top of the other, and really long and stretched out. The second issue is that anything that appears on the camera screen gets captured as well.

I have looked on the HDR-FX7 to see if all displays can be turned off. Have not found this yet. More important is this: The camera is an 1080i, and I can only get a signal ifthe capture is set to 1080p 29.97.

I hope the issue is me. If anybody has advice or can help, this would be MOST awesome. I have a gig coming up where I am trying to send an HDMI signal to both the computer to record and to an LCD projector. I have a month.....

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Black Magic Intensity usually caps 1080i.

Menus etc, are your responsibility to turn off.

Are you using the BlackMagic software to capture?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried Adobe Premiere, Adobe On Location and the Black Magic software for capture. Same results in all. Double vertical image, and only get input when set to 1080P 29.97.

Camera is 1080i. But I don't know what frame rate I should be at. The selections do not include 1080i 29.97.

Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Doesn't the Sony HDR-FX7 camera have a firewire output? If so use that to transfer your video to a desktop PC with a firewire port (easy enough to install if your PC hasn't already got one) with NO loss of picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been capturing via firewire up until now. The issue is that I get a noticeable delay in the capture. It captures fine, but the capture window runs about 1 second behind the actual event. Firewire 400 is not even close to the transfer speed of HDMI. So firewire will not help.

With HDMI, even with two vertical windows, the capture window response is perfect. I need to both capture live and broadcast onto an LCD.

Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I take it 1080i60 and 1080i59.94 have been tried for the Black Magic Intensity Pro? I downloaded the specs and manual for the camera. According to those, the camera outputs video at 1080/60i, at 1440x1080 resolution.

Also, what does the picture look like when the camera is connected directly to a 1080i or 1080p TV via HDMI?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The way I'd do this is capture video via Firewire and feed the LCD monitor with HDMI. Both should be real time.

Alternately you can cap 1080i to the BMI and feed the monitor from the BMI loop output.

The delay you are seeing from Firewire is introduced by the computer decode to 1080i/p not from Firewire.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have considered doing exactly what you suggest, and may have to. But it does not answer the question why the BMI is unable to capture the HDMI output from the camera. It should. Specs say it should work. Both support 1080i resolution.

Eventually there is another reason to use HDMI. I can have a 100 foot HDMI cable, so the camera can be far away from the capture computer. Cannot do that with Firewire.

Everything is moving HDMI, and I would really like to get this working the way I want it to, not the way I may have to.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to contact both Black Magic, and Sony on this one. Another option is to try a different HDMI capture card. I am considering getting a AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR MTVHDDVRR PCIE capture card and see if it will work.

Anybody have experience with this card?
    Quote Quote