VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Guys -

Over the past few weeks, I've been backing up all of my movies to files on my home "server." One of my movies was so scratched up, that I couldn't play it so looked for it online. I'm not promoting piracy by the way... I found multiple copies of it which varied in size - so much so that I questioned if I my encoding was accurate.

Below are the two most common 1080p files. One, though, is x5 bigger than the other. I understand that they may be different formats and that some include multiple audios tracks and whatnot. I highly doubt that would increase the size that much.

1080p - 1.64GB
    FORMAT.......................: MP4
    CODEC........................: X264
    GENRE........................: Action
    FILE SIZE....................: 1.64 GB
    RESOLUTION...................: 1920*1080
    FRAME RATE...................: 23.976 fps
    LANGUAGE.....................: English

1080p - 10.00GB
    Size ...............: 9.99GB
    Video ..............: 1920x1080
    Bitrate ............: 11499kbps (x264 High@L4.1)
    Audio 1.............: English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Ch 2169 kbps
    Chapters............: Yes
    Source .............: 1080p.BluRay.AVC.DTS-HD.MA.5.1-PublicHD
    Subs ...............: English German Portuguese Turkish

My personal backups are currently about 4-5gb for a 720p and in an MKV container. I'm trying to get the best quality I can - but - don't have infinite space. If both are 1080p, what's the true difference between them?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. View them and find out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. umm... thanks. I was actually looking for some technical information if anyone has any. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bzowk View Post
    umm... thanks. I was actually looking for some technical information if anyone has any. Thanks
    Let me give you an illustration to show you a problem with your first post in this thread.

This is what you think you said:
    My car makes a loud squeaking sound when I put on the brakes. I have noticed that the car doesn't stop as quickly or in as short a distance as it used to. I can also sometimes smell a slight burning smell.

This is what you really said:
    My car has a problem.

Since you didn't bother to post enough useful information for anybody to actually give you the kind "technical information" answer you want, let's resort to wild ass guesses based on the paltry information you provided. Hint - Opening the files with MediaInfo and posting that would have been useful.

Probably the larger file has much higher bit rate video (and should be of higher quality) and higher bit rate audio. The quality difference in the video is more likely to be noticeable than the audio, depending on what the smaller file used for audio.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No, what the O.P. really said is that he has two copies of the same movie. The movie in one file is a certain file size. The movie in the other file is a different file size. My guess is that the bigger file has a higher bitrate and more features than the other. But that's a guess. At this point the O.P. will have to wait around until more people make more guesses. Maybe by post #300, someone will guess right-on. Or it could take longer. Who knows? Maybe the O.P. can use MediaInfo and post info about the two copies here.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 01:56.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by bzowk View Post
    I was actually looking for some technical information if anyone has any
    We can give you technical information but in the end it will mean nothing for those particular video files. Basically you have:

Code:
    file size = bitrate * running time
    So the higher the bitrate, the larger the file. And then you have the basic trend of lower bitrates leading to lower quality. But beyond that, unless you know the two videos came from the same source and were treated similarly there's no way of knowing for certain which has the better quality. Someone who doesn't know what they are doing can screw up a video no matter how much bitrate they use.
    Quote Quote