VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17
FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post
    Last B.M. drivers are v9, which one are you using?
    I've tried using 7.7.1, 8.2.1 and 9 all from the website and 9.0 from the disc that it came with as well, none of them seem to pick it up and I'm guessing it's because Windows doesn't I just can't understand why it isn't working.

Edit: Loaded BIOS defaults and it picked it up, drivers installed and everythings working as normal! Not got a clue what was stopping it from being detected :S
    Last edited by Adexus; 30th Dec 2011 at 20:34.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably a registry problem, typical for Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post
    Probably a registry problem, typical for Windows.

Yeah it's looking that way, I put all of the BIOS settings back to the way I had them, except I've still got to overclock my CPU again but yeah, still working and recording fine Typical that my last idea is the one that worked though, re-installed Windows as well Thanks for your help though Gradius, really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just read this article on Digital Foundry: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-gameplay-capture. They suggest using AmaRecTV (http://amamaman.web.infoseek.co.jp/english/amarectv_e.htm) instead of Media Express and I have to say it does seem like a much better tool. For starters you have more display options, being able to render the output fullscreen while recording. You can also get to actually hear the audio output which isn't the case with Media Express (as far as I know). And then there's the option to use other codecs such as AMV2MT which offer better lossless/lossy compression compared to the BlackMagic drivers. The latter isn't free though, they also recommend UT Video Codec which is free but I'm not sure if it handles HDYC correctly. Apparently there are some issues with colorspace conversion that I really don't understand well enough to comment on them, but here's the original thread about it:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/124/873380

AmaRecTV also has an option that changes the FOURCC from HDYC to UYVY. I've read that UT Video codec needs that option to be able to record from it. But I don't know if that means it would have the "colorspace aliasing" talked about in the above link?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Right link (comparison and order):
    http://amamaman.web.infoseek.co.jp/english/amv2_e.html

For $10 ain't expensive at all, however it only supports 32-bit (no joy to me).
    Quote Quote  
  6. We wonder WHEN they will add support to 1080p@59.94 and @60fps
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Changing the FOURCC won't affect video quality as it's just a header thing. "HDYC" refers to the same format as "UYVY" but you just have to ensure that you do conversions using Rec.709, which you may have to specify manually regardless.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Changing the FOURCC won't affect video quality as it's just a header thing. "HDYC" refers to the same format as "UYVY" but you just have to ensure that you do conversions using Rec.709, which you may have to specify manually regardless.
    I'm not sure how, I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the subject of colorspace conversion. Here's the settings for the AMV2MT codec: as you can see it mentions it accepts HDYC but converts it to YUY2. Am I correct in assuming this conversion is completely lossless? In that case, if I want to record lossless video, are the "Y1:Speed" or "Y2 :Standard" settings the best one if the input is HDYC (since it's converted to YUY2 anyway)?

I'm also confused by the settings in the codecs used by the Intensity Shuttle, more specifically the 10bit 4:4:4 one:

Is there actually a benefit in recording with this codec? Since it's downscaling everything to YUY2 to begin with, but the codec is listed as 4:4:4, I don't see the point. Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question here, I'm still trying to learn more about what all this means.

Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post
    We wonder WHEN they will add support to 1080p@59.94 and @60fps
    I have a feeling they never will, as there seem to be no updates towards the hardware requirements and compatibility with the increasing amount of USB 3.0 controllers from different manufacturers. I might ask them about that once they explain to me how they're managing to capture 480P from an XBox360 using the Shuttle, since as far as I can tell the Shuttle doesn't accept the resolution the XBox360 is using in that mode (which I believe is 640x480, but they say it should be 720x480).
    Last edited by Draikin; 3rd Jan 2012 at 18:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Draikin View Post
    I'm not sure how, I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the subject of colorspace conversion.
    Any advice on that would depend on what you do with your videos after capturing. If you encode using x264 you can flag it as Rec.709.

Here's the settings for the AMV2MT codec: as you can see it mentions it accepts HDYC but converts it to YUY2. Am I correct in assuming this conversion is completely lossless? In that case, if I want to record lossless video, are the "Y1:Speed" or "Y2 :Standard" settings the best one if the input is HDYC (since it's converted to YUY2 anyway)?
    Another name for YUY2 is YUYV. So as you can see, the only difference between UYVY and YUYV is the order each element is stored (and see my previous post for the difference between UYVY and HDYC). Any competent program will swap them around without loss.

I haven't seen any reason to try AMV2 myself, as their own charts appear to show that the compression/speed ratio is worse than free codecs. I wonder what their "Color correction filter" does there, though.

I'm also confused by the settings in the codecs used by the Intensity Shuttle, more specifically the 10bit 4:4:4 one:
    [pic]
    Is there actually a benefit in recording with this codec? Since it's downscaling everything to YUY2 to begin with, but the codec is listed as 4:4:4, I don't see the point.
    Agreed. There's also likely no point in capturing 10-bit from most sources.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for explaining this vapereon, I think I understand it at least somewhat better now.

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Any advice on that would depend on what you do with your videos after capturing. If you encode using x264 you can flag it as Rec.709.
    Basically I just want to capture it lossless first and then indeed encode using x264. Basically I'd just like to use alternative codecs to capture rather than the ones provided by BlackMagic, since they have a better lossless/lossy compression ratio and you don't have to resort to a RAID setup to handle the throughput for 720P capture. But reading about the problems with the way certain codecs handle HDYC I'm concerned that I'll end up capturing something only to eventually realize later on that the colorspace conversion were suboptimal/wrong. For example someone made a "special Huffyuv build for HDYC" which apparently was doing something wrong with the colorspace conversion. This was discussed in these threads, where phaeron explained the issue:

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=18348
    http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=16116&st=15

Here's a quote from phaeron in the first thread:
    I'm still having a hard time figuring out exactly what's going on from that page, but I'm beginning to suspect that the issue is aliasing between the HDYC and UYVY formats. The HDYC format is a similar format to UYVY, except that it uses the Rec. 709 (HD) color space instead of Rec. 601 (SD). It looks like you have a couple of programs/codecs involved that are attempting to handle HDYC by simply pretending that it is UYVY. This would definitely cause the broken colors that we have been seeing. Asking VirtualDub to force a conversion to RGB or YUY2 fixes this because VirtualDub has separate routines to handle the Rec. 709 -> RGB and Rec. 709 -> Rec. 601 conversions that are required.

One caution on doing this, though: due to compressed range in the chroma axes and due to parallel axes between color spaces, it turns out that you can actually get worse error converting between YCbCr spaces than to and from RGB. You're always better off avoiding a conversion when possible, but if you have to take a conversion, you may actually be better off going HDYC -> RGB rather than HDYC -> YUY2.

The next major version of VirtualDub will have a filter called "alias format" that will allow you to bypass some of these problems, BTW -- it allows you to alias one format as another, either to create or fix a mismatch. In this case, it would allow you to pass the HDYC data through the codec as UYVY in order to bypass the codec's color space conversion.
    Which all leaves me very confused at the moment. The AmaRecTV option to change the FOURCC from HDYC to UYUV sounds like it would cause the problem mentioned above (unless that depends on whether or not the codec understand that it's getting Rec. 709), and that option is on by default. So if I'm going to use AMV2MT it's also because that's supposed to handle HDYC correctly, so I can just uncheck the option in AmaRecTV. I read that for example that capturing from the Shuttle with the UT Video codec won't work if that FOURCC change from HDYC -> UYUV is disabled, which I still need to test. But it does definitely still work with AMV2MT in that case.

I haven't seen any reason to try AMV2 myself, as their own charts appear to show that the compression/speed ratio is worse than free codecs. I wonder what their "Color correction filter" does there, though.
    The translations are a bit "Engrish" but the tooltip says: "When the compressed by YUY2 and output RGB, use a color correction filter".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    It shouldn't be an issue if you're only taking your captured file and encoding it without filtering, thus avoiding colorspace conversions.

You could run color bars through to test like that guy did, but the 360's video playback is currently screwed.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Interesting stuff. I did a test to try and understand the problem a bit better, and here's what I found: if I record using AMV2MT or UT Codec and play the resulting .avi in MPC-HC (LAV filters) the colors seem to be the same as the original. But if I open the .avi in Virtualdub or I create an Avisynth script that uses DirectShowSource to show the video and open that in MPC-HC, I do seem to get a color difference:

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo53/Radik2/IntensityShuttle/colordifference1.png

And if I activate MPC-HC's shader "BT.601 -> BT.709" the colors seem to be more or less restored:

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo53/Radik2/IntensityShuttle/colordifference2.png

So I assume this is basically a problem caused by the decoders?

Also, if I open the original .avi recorded using AMV2MT (lossless YUY2) in Virtualdub and compress it using the same AM2VMT settings again, the colors are still the same as the original when played in MPC-HC. But if I use something like Lagarith (set in YUY2 mode) to compress the original .avi, the resulting video does have the color difference even when I play it in MPC-HC. I'm still not sure what all of this means, but at least I seem to have a way of identifying the problem.
    Last edited by Draikin; 5th Jan 2012 at 19:01.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    In AviSynth, add ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec709") to the end. You won't want to do that when actually encoding but that should get the display correct.

Did you use Fast Recompress in VirtualDub for both re-encodes?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    In AviSynth, add ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec709") to the end. You won't want to do that when actually encoding but that should get the display correct.
    I understand this would fix the display, but what I don't understand yet is this (assuming I record a 720P .avi using AmaRecTV with the AMV2MT codec):

AVI -> play in MPC-HC -> colors are correct
    AVI -> Avisynth DirectShowSource -> play .avs in MPC-HC -> colors are wrong
    AVI -> Avisynth DirectShowSource -> open in Virtualdub -> re-encode with AMV2MT -> play in MPC-HC -> colors are correct

I would have expected the last combination to deliver incorrect results. Truth is that I don't really understand what all these programs in this chain are actually doing.

Did you use Fast Recompress in VirtualDub for both re-encodes?
    No, but I tried it now and it doesn't make a difference. Furthermore, capturing with Lagarith directly in AmaRecTV shows the same color difference. The latter is exactly what I want to avoid.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    How are you able to capture with Lagarith? I thought the device required codecs that support HDYC input.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    How are you able to capture with Lagarith? I thought the device required codecs that support HDYC input.
    That's a good question and I don't understand that either. I just tried Virtualdub and it only lists a few available codecs for compression: AMV2MT, AMV3, Blackmagic 8bit MJPEG Codec and for some reason also the XFire codec. AmaRecTV lists a lot more codecs, even though the FOURCC HDYC -> UYVY hack isn't enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Well for those waiting for 1080P60 support for the Intensity Shuttle, the new Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt apparently does have full 1080P support: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/techspecs/ (although for the moment it only works on Mac OS X). What that means for the USB 3.0 version, I have no idea but I'm going to send an e-mail to their support to find out. Their website still lists the following though for the USB 3.0 version:

Intensity Shuttle comes ready with advanced video technology such as HDMI 1.3 and 1080p electronics, so it will grow as faster high performance USB 3.0 computers are released in the future!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Draikin View Post
    Well for those waiting for 1080P60 support for the Intensity Shuttle, the new Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt apparently does have full 1080P support: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/techspecs/ (although for the moment it only works on Mac OS X). What that means for the USB 3.0 version, I have no idea but I'm going to send an e-mail to their support to find out. Their website still lists the following though for the USB 3.0 version:

Intensity Shuttle comes ready with advanced video technology such as HDMI 1.3 and 1080p electronics, so it will grow as faster high performance USB 3.0 computers are released in the future!
    I doubt the USB3.0 will get 1080P50/60 etc.. the Thunderbolt has 10Gb/s bandwidth - twice that of USB3.0..

I thought I might register to share a little video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KxpYAgIt-o

hope that helps anyone looking!

btw, is there some kind of 'database' - a collective of info - to see which laptops are compat with the shuttle usb3?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    So no way to overcome the stupid HDCP? Only by hacking the drivers?
    http://www.hdfury.com/products/hdfury4-specs/

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My shuttle has once again stopped working I have had it for over a year now so I know all the requirements needed for it. However media express wont recognize it the control panel is all greyed out in desktop video, and when I reinstall 9.0 drivers and reconnect i get this

In previous installations it has installed the video and audio codecs but not this time I just get that. Whats going on?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shuttle.JPG
Views:	1596
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	10730  

Last edited by vanished001; 30th Jan 2012 at 07:48.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audio:

Video:

Unplug Intensity. Uninstall, reboot. Install new stuff, reboot. Plug Intensity, and wait it will self-install now.
    I have noticed after installation I have the video properties but not the audio properties. Question is why? and if is it possible to fix? Or is my shuttle bricked
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I have a ASUS G74SX and the BMIS is a bit of touch and go. I have set my 360 to 720p @ 60 and configured my Media Express to 720p @ 59.94.

The thing is, I don't know why ME usually gets a black screen. I have to plug and unplug the usb cable, fiddle with 720p @ 60, 50 and 59.94 and then hope for it to work. HDMI out into my 55' LED TV works fine, audio and all, but BM has the "no remote" icon.

I have managed to get it to work a few times, recorded some videos of my 360 gameplay but I was wondering how to get it to detect properly all the time?

Also, ME gets the "not responding" behaviour a lot when I change my preferences, and I have to unplug the usb3 cable or worse restart my comp.

I've been reading multiple pages on this thread, I have updated my usb drivers, using 9.1 ME on Win 7 64bit. I believe my laptop should be able to handle BMIS requirements given I have successfully recorded a few videos.

I am planning to give Adobe Premiere Pro a go, are there any tutorials on this? Does premiere replace ME, i.e. allow me to capture and record while streaming/outputting to monitor/tv?

Thank you for your time.
    Regards,
    Last edited by derrace; 7th Mar 2012 at 22:48. Reason: corrected weird spacing
    Quote Quote  
  23. There is no much to do:

- Be sure you have updated NEC FW & drivers: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm
    - Be sure to have UNinstalled old Blackmagic drivers/soft (you NEED to reboot after uninstall and new install!)
    - Be sure your OS is running fine (no virus, malwares, etc)
    - Be sure you're trying to capture HDCP free content
    - Be sure you're working on 100% correct capturing settings

If every else fails, then might be your OS, or chipset incompatibility, or even a bad capturer.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no much to do:

- Be sure you have updated NEC FW & drivers: http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm
    - Be sure to have UNinstalled old Blackmagic drivers/soft (you NEED to reboot after uninstall and new install!)
    - Be sure your OS is running fine (no virus, malwares, etc)
    - Be sure you're trying to capture HDCP free content
    - Be sure you're working on 100% correct capturing settings

If every else fails, then might be your OS, or chipset incompatibility, or even a bad capturer.

Hmm, thanks for the reply. If the chipset is incompatible, it shouldn't work flawlessly when it does, and other times throw a fit and not work... It should just fail completely.

I tested it on a xbox360 game feed. It's HDCP free. My laptop doesn't use NEC chipset, but after updating my drivers, it installed fine and started fine. I have no issue with Black Magic control panel, but mainly Media Express.

It's a brand new laptop, and I am fairly certain it's free of virus/malware.

I read the other pages, configured xbox360 to 720p 60z, which outputs 720p 59.94hz, I have set it on ME to that, but it's flakey.

I will give Adobe premiere a go to see if the feed appears consistently.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Try another software besides Media Express. Actually M.E. is very limited and a lot users here complained about it (lots of issues, not only limits).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Is it possible to do PS3 > HDMI > BMIS > HDMI > TV and get it working properly? I've heard a lot of different things, so I'm not sure what is true.
    Quote Quote  
  27. PS3 keeps that shitty HDCP all the time, so no. You can capture on video component.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hmm, is there a recommended PCIe USB 3.0 card to use with the shuttle?

I have a rather old motherboard and I bought a rather random cheap PCIe card, but it gives a code 10.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

i got a problem using my intensity shuttle with AmaRecTV, every other Software and Inputs seem to work fine.

Here's a Screenshot of the error i get:
    Name:  error.PNG
Views: 1996
Size:  11.2 KB

I've used the standard configuration and Codecs, however it doesn't seem to help.

Other Sources, e.g. my Webcam, DXTory, etc. work flawless.

I hope someone here can help me.

Edit: I fixed it by myself, just edit the format from 16 bits to 8 bit and it works
    Last edited by Hibbler; 20th Mar 2012 at 10:27.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    media express keeps crashing during recording? Anyone else having this problem
    Quote Quote